Re: EMM386 not installed - protected mode software already running.

If it's PharLap286, I want to almost say -- for certain -- it's first-gen, Ring
0 gobbling VCPI.

Again, an additional test is to try it on 32-bit NT (4-6) and its NTVDM.  If it
doesn't work (try several), then it's not DPMI compatible and taking issue with
something else holding Ring 0.  DPMI really addresses all of the shortcomings of
VCPI, and allows multi-tasking (really task sharing, to a point, long story) in
DOS.  As such, real, 32-bit Virtual86/Protected386 operating systems (NT/NTVDM,
Linux/DOSEmu, etc...) can then offer DPMI with the same capabilities.

I also mentioned DOSBox.  DOSBox can actually emulate Ring 0, including for some
VCPI programs.  According to the status page, it seems to be limited to Origin
games, don't know what extender they used.  Could be unrelated to PharLap and
most early, VCPI-based implementations.  But it's worth a shot.
  http://www.dosbox.com/status.php?show_status=1

DOSBox isn't a full DOS in the traditional sense, but a DOS emulator that
doesn't require DOS itself.  DOSEmu is more like a virtualized DPMI environment,
and then you run DOS under it -- like NTVDM in NT/Windows, although Microsoft
bundles the required DOS support (DOS kernel, COMMAND.COM instead of NT's native
CMD.EXE, etc...).

-- Bryan

P.S.  For several years Concurrent (among others) was marketing itself as a
networked/remote terminal, multiuser DOS solution.  Understand these solutions
are based on DR-DOS and DPMI-based DPMS, and will also be incompatible with VCPI
if those services load.  Only Real86 DOS without anything using DPMI or an
emulated DOS under another OS, with Ring 0 available (emulated) will work, for
most of those early extenders.