Re: Remote control of Dosemu

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 23:24:24 +0100
Richard <R.Gregory@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I had this problem when running Norton Ghost, it asked a question at
> startup that needed the sequence <Tab><Tab><Enter> before proceeding
> with the command line options. The available DosEmu options didn't
> work, so I wrote a kernel module that simulated key presses. This was
> for a 2.4 kernel and a hack, I'm no kernel hacker.

That looks quite similar to the problem I'm having.

> In my case Ghost was running in a console on the front display. To get
> an idea of Ghosts progress, I found the memory at 0xA0000 showed a
> cross-section of the 4 colour screen. It looked like it was interlaced,
> though I couldn't figure out how. For my purposes it was enough to save
> the screen. It is possible the text version is also available in a
> constant memory location.

I haven't really followed screen mapping with 32 bit mapping, so I have
no idea where the screen would be. But as this program must run at
hour-intervals, and shouldn't even interfere with the normal ops, I guess
there is no other way to run it except with DOSemu on stdin/out.

I'm starting to think that it will be easier to capture the entire
serial stream, and reverse engr it, protocol and all. I did some
preliminary captures but it seems quite complicated.

It's really complicated because the machine is 35 km from here, so I
can't really test easily.

Thanks
John