Re: modprobe missing -l option

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Alan Jenkins
<alan.christopher.jenkins@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 01/03/13 17:42, Lucas De Marchi wrote:
>>
>> Hi Marian,
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Marian Marinov <mm@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have already patched my kmod with the -l option, would you be willing
>>> add this option to kmod?
>>>
>>> If so, I can polish the patch and send a pull request for it.
>>
>> The problem with the previous implementation is that it's not really
>> listing the available modules. It's listing the modules known in the
>> index. It's kind of misleading. As stated in module-init-tools' man
>> page, it'd be better to use 'find' in the modules dir.
>
> Why is it misleading if "modprobe --list" only shows results from the index?
> That's consistent with the normal operation of modprobe.
>

>> However since you are not the first person asking for it, I think
>> there's some demand for this functionality. So, I'm thinking about
>> having it with another name just to avoid confusion.
>
> I doubt the objection was to the name...  I think it was just seen as
> superfluous, not worth the effort of maintaining.

Yep, that was the original reason for removing a deprecated option.

> The libkmod API expands slightly on the old implementation, so it could be
> more natural to have --list now.  (And maybe easier to implement?)

It's the same thing there's in module-init-tools. Not easier, not
harder. Just copy and paste.

One of the reasons I'm reluctant about "modprobe --list" is that I
don't want to expand the options to modprobe/insmod/lsmod and instead
treat they as the old interface, focusing on kmod commands/options.

Lucas De Marchi