Re: modprobe missing -l option

Hi Marian,

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Marian Marinov <mm@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm system administrator for 14 years and I have been using the -l option
> since I first found it.
>
> In a recent Fedora update I saw that module-init-tools was replaced by the
> kmod package.
>
> I'm really disappointed by the deprecation of the list option, since it was
> was very useful to me.

First of all, we didn't deprecate -l. It was already deprecated a long
time ago (as far as I checked, back to 2006).

> I have already patched my kmod with the -l option, would you be willing to
> add this option to kmod?
>
> If so, I can polish the patch and send a pull request for it.

The problem with the previous implementation is that it's not really
listing the available modules. It's listing the modules known in the
index. It's kind of misleading. As stated in module-init-tools' man
page, it'd be better to use 'find' in the modules dir.

However since you are not the first person asking for it, I think
there's some demand for this functionality. So, I'm thinking about
having it with another name just to avoid confusion.

Lucas De Marchi