Re: [PULL REQUEST] Manpage and misc updates (try #2)

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Mike Frysinger wrote:

On Wednesday 06 May 2009 12:45:44 Robby Workman wrote:
On Wed, 6 May 2009, Mike Frysinger wrote:
the install-with-care seems to have a spurious change from `...` to
$(...)

That's noted in the commit log:
   - replaced `command` with $(command) for current POSIX standard

that doesnt make any sense.  both forms are perfectly supported in POSIX and
have been for pretty much all time, and neither is preferred by the standard
over the other.

I won't make any claims that this is authoritative, but:
http://tinyurl.com/ca7r9u (link to an ibm page)

From what I understand (and I may very well be wrong), backticks are
deprecated in newer bash as well.

Granted, the reasons for the (alleged) deprecated don't apply here, as these aren't nested backticks, but the change doesn't hurt anything
either.

-RW