Re: [PULL REQUEST] Manpage and misc updates (try #2)

On Wednesday 06 May 2009 14:57:27 Robby Workman wrote:
> On Wed, 6 May 2009, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> >>
> >> That's noted in the commit log:
> >>    - replaced `command` with $(command) for current POSIX standard
> >
> > that doesnt make any sense.  both forms are perfectly supported in POSIX
> > and have been for pretty much all time, and neither is preferred by the
> > standard over the other.
>
> I won't make any claims that this is authoritative, but:
> http://tinyurl.com/ca7r9u (link to an ibm page)
>
> From what I understand (and I may very well be wrong), backticks are
> deprecated in newer bash as well.

it isnt authoritative.  if you want authoritative, you should go to the actual
POSIX spec:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.html

using $(...) in favor of `...` in general as a "good programming practice" is
one thing, claiming the spec deprecates it is completely different ...

> Granted, the reasons for the (alleged) deprecated don't apply here,
> as these aren't nested backticks, but the change doesn't hurt anything
> either.

mixing unrelated changes doesnt jive with me which is why i pointed it out.
but i'm not the maintainer who accepts/rejects the patch, so maybe Jon doesnt
care.
-mike