Re: [PULL REQUEST] Manpage and misc updates (try #2)

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Mike Frysinger wrote:

On Wednesday 06 May 2009 04:37:20 Alan Jenkins wrote:
Mike Frysinger wrote:
ideally, genereate-modprobe.conf should go away, but there are still
packages out there that only do /etc/modules.d/.  if we assume distros
are taking care of them to convert to modprobe.d/, then no, we no longer
need generate- modprobe.conf.  Gentoo has converted most packages, but
there's still a small handful left ...

That's interesting to know.  If it's still being used for development
but not migrating live systems, there might be reasons to keep it - but
we could still strip out all the references to it from the documentation.

how about:
- include it in tarball but stop installing it
- stop mentioning it in documentation
- add note to NEWS or whatever about it being long overdue for deprecation
- stop mentioning modules.* beyond a historical foot note in the modprobe.*
pages

This sounds reasonable to me; I'll make a note in NEWS for try #3 patchset.

- have `modprobe` whine when it sees modprobe.*

I'm not completely comfortable with my C skills to do this (although it's
likely trivial), so I'll leave that bit to someone else.

-RW