Re: [PULL REQUEST] Manpage and misc updates (try #2)

On Wednesday 06 May 2009 04:37:20 Alan Jenkins wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:

> >> CC'd Martin Schlemmer and Mike Frysinger on this
> >
> > ugh, m-i-t changed mailing lists yet again w/out any notice.  can someone
> > please post an announce to the old mailing list.
>
> It was sent to the old mailing list.  It's possible it wasn't working at
> the time.  I can't link you to a web archive since they had definitely
> stopped working by that point, so I've attached my copy to this message.

good enough for me.  can always assume i failed and missed it in my inbox as
well.  thanks for the forward.

> >> guys, do you know of
> >> some reason that this should stay?  From what I've gathered on IRC with
> >> Jon and others, all of the backwards-compat stuff with old modutils is
> >> essentially gone (or will be soon), so I don't see a reason for the
> >> generate-modprobe.conf file to hang around.  Perhaps I'm missing
> >> something though, so here's your chance :-)
> >
> > ideally, genereate-modprobe.conf should go away, but there are still
> > packages out there that only do /etc/modules.d/.  if we assume distros
> > are taking care of them to convert to modprobe.d/, then no, we no longer
> > need generate- modprobe.conf.  Gentoo has converted most packages, but
> > there's still a small handful left ...
>
> That's interesting to know.  If it's still being used for development
> but not migrating live systems, there might be reasons to keep it - but
> we could still strip out all the references to it from the documentation.

how about:
 - include it in tarball but stop installing it
 - stop mentioning it in documentation
 - add note to NEWS or whatever about it being long overdue for deprecation
 - stop mentioning modules.* beyond a historical foot note in the modprobe.*
pages
 - have `modprobe` whine when it sees modprobe.*
-mike

[Index of Archives]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Big List of Linux Books]