Re: [PULL REQUEST] Manpage and misc updates (try #2)

On 5/5/09, Robby Workman <rworkman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 May 2009, Robby Workman wrote:
> Well, I had more free time than I thought I would today, so here's try #2.
> New location: git://github.com/rworkman/mit.git - only three commits this
> time

Nice.  Without the whitespace changes in the way, this all looks quite
sane.  Btw, I normally include the human-browsable URL as well
(http://github.com/rworkman/mit/commits/master).

> and really it should have been two, but I can fix that for a final
> pull request assuming everything else is okay.
>
> I'm attaching a diffstat and cumulative diff to this mail.

I've still got a few comments though.

> 907a31cd239a4c707028b4c9850f7c5ac508b1e2 "depmod.conf.sgml:"

The first line of a Git commit message serves as a headline.  You can
see this if you look at http://github.com/rworkman/mit/commits/master.
  So ideally you want something like "manpages: cleanup and remove
references to backcompat".

> -THIS WILL DESTROY THE OLD MODUTILS FOR PRE-2.6 KERNELS!
> -THERE IS NO BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY.
> +THERE IS NO BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY FOR <2.6 KERNELS!

IMO we should assume more users can read English than Maths.  I prefer
"pre-2.6" to "<2.6".

>  This option causes <command>modprobe</command> to apply the
> -      <command>blacklist</command> commands in the configuration file (if
> +      <command>blacklist</command> commands in the configuration directory or file (if
>        any) to module names as well.  It is usually used by <citerefentry>

"directory or files" seems more cumbersome than necessary.  How about
"to apply <command>blacklist</command> commands in the configuration
files"?

Thanks!
Alan