Re: ANNOUNCE: module-init-tools 3.7-pre9 release

Marco d'Itri wrote:
On Mar 13, Alan Jenkins <alan-jenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ok. I'm probably out of my depth here. I've never created a package, and I don't use m-i-t's "make install" because it complains about "modprobe.old" not existing.
Actually I do not use make install either now that I think about it...
Maybe the correct solution is to just delete the generated man pages
when I start building the package, so they will all be rebuilt in the
correct directory.

As I say, "make install" should be able to install the manpages from the source directory. If you're doing something _else_ which relies on them all being in the build directory... then yeah, deleting the ones in the source directory will work nicely.

But I'd call that a workaround, not a solution :-P. Surely the solution is to use "make install"? Is there something we should fix to make it more usable?

I'm also puzzled when you say it's only a problem for _some_ manpages.
Because some are patched by the Debian package (maybe it's time we
undocument modprobe.conf?) so they are regenerated.

Ah, ok. Yes, it would be nice if the manpages were updated to match the new configuration file scheme :).