RE: Poor write performance to boot area using rcar-gen3-sdhi

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Weinberger <richard@xxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 9, 2023 1:28 PM
To: Christian Loehle <CLoehle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Biju Das <biju.das.jz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; linux-mmc <linux-mmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; linux-renesas-soc <linux-renesas-soc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; wsa+renesas <wsa+renesas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; ulf hansson <ulf.hansson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Poor write performance to boot area using rcar-gen3-sdhi

> So I went down the rabbit hole.
> After analyzing the operation traces from Linux and u-boot in more detail I had another chat with the vendor. It turned out their boot area *is* different, it operates on a much larger internal block size.
>
> While u-boot does basically all IO with one op code, Linux's writeback via page cache writes 4k wise which leads to catastrophic performance.
> Using O_DIRECT mitigates the issue, though.

Interesting, without having tried it out I would expect the 4k writebacks to be merged to a bigger IO, too? Given that they are filled sequentially, which is the case.
But good that you got it working.
If I find the time I will play with it a bit.

> Thanks everyone for your valuable input!
> //richard

Hyperstone GmbH | Reichenaustr. 39a  | 78467 Konstanz
Managing Director: Dr. Jan Peter Berns.
Commercial register of local courts: Freiburg HRB381782

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Memonry Technology]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Media]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]