Re: [RFC] Heterogeneous memory management (mirror process address space on a device mmu).

On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 11:02:33AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> <ogerlitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,Sagi Grimberg <sagig@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,Shachar Raindel <raindel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,Liran Liss <liranl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,Roland Dreier <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Sander, Ben" <ben.sander@xxxxxxx>,"Stoner, Greg" <Greg.Stoner@xxxxxxx>,"Bridgman, John" <John.Bridgman@xxxxxxx>,"Mantor, Michael" <Michael.Mantor@xxxxxxx>,"Blinzer, Paul" <Paul.Blinzer@xxxxxxx>,"Morichetti, Laurent" <Laurent.Morichetti@xxxxxxx>,"Deucher, Alexander" <Alexander.Deucher@xxxxxxx>,"Gabbay, Oded" <Oded.Gabbay@xxxxxxx>,Davidlohr Bueso <davidlohr@xxxxxx>
>
> Nothing wrong with device-side memory, but not having it accessible by
> the CPU seems fundamentally brown from the point of view of unified
> memory addressing.

Unified memory addressing does not imply CPU and GPU working on same set
of data at same time. So having part of the address space only accessible
by GPU while it's actively working on it make sense. The GPU then can have
low latency (no pcie bus) and enormous bandwith and thus perform the
computation a lot faster.

Note that my patchset handle cpu page fault while data is inside GPU memory
and migrate it back to system memory. So from CPU point of view it is just
as if things were in some kind of swap device except that the swap device
is actualy doing some useful computation.

Also on the cache coherent front, cache coherency has a cost, a very high
cost. This is why even on APU (where the GPU and CPU are on same die and
the mmu of the GPU and CPU have privilege link think today AMD APU or next
year intel skylake) you have two memory link, one cache coherent with the
CPU and another one that is not cache coherent with the CPU. The latter
link is way faster and my patchset is also intended to help taking advantages
of this second link (http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2013/06/1004_final.pdf)

Cheers,
Jérôme