Re: [RFC] Heterogeneous memory management (mirror process address space on a device mmu).

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 3:29 AM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So you forgot to CC Linus, Linus has expressed some dislike for
> preemptible mmu_notifiers in the recent past:

Indeed. I think we *really* should change that anonvma rwsem into an
rwlock. We had performance numbers that showed it needs to be done.

The *last* thing we want is to have random callbacks that can block in
this critical region. So now I think making it an rwlock is a good
idea just to make sure that never happens.

Seriously, the mmu_notifiers were misdesigned to begin with, and much
too deep. We're not screwing up the VM any more because of them.

                 Linus