Re: [RFC] Heterogeneous memory management (mirror process address space on a device mmu).

> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 9:30 AM, Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > The GPU runs a lot faster when using video memory, instead
> > of system memory, on the other side of the PCIe bus.
>
> The nineties called, and they want their old broken model back.
>
> Get with the times. No high-performance future GPU will ever run
> behind the PCIe bus. We still have a few straggling historical
> artifacts, but everybody knows where the future is headed.
>
> They are already cache-coherent because flushing caches etc was too
> damn expensive. They're getting more so.

The future might be closer coupled, but it still might not be cache coherent, it might also just be a faster PCIE, considering the current one is a lot faster than the 90s PCI you talk about.

No current high-performance GPU runs in front of the PCIe bus, Intel are still catching up to the performance level of anyone else and others still remain ahead. Even intel make MIC cards for compute that put stuff on the other side of the PCIE divide.

Dave.