Re: [Invitation] Linux MM Alignment Session on HugeTLB Core MM Convergence on Wednesday

On Thu, Jun 15, 2023 at 1:30 AM David Hildenbrand <david@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> >> However, people also made the comparisons to cgroup v1 - v2.  Such a
> >> redesign provides the needed 'clean slate' to do things right, but it
> >> does little for existing users who would be unwilling to quickly move off
> >> existing hugetlb.
> >>
> >> We did spend a good chunk of time on hugetlb/core mm unification and
> >> removing special casing.  In some (most) of these cases, the benefit of
> >> removing special cases from core mm would result in adding more code to
> >> hugetlb.  For example: proper type'ing so that hugetlb does not treat
> >> all page table entries as PTEs.  Again, I may be wrong but I think
> >> people were OK with adding more code (and even complexity) to hugetlb
> >> if it eliminated special casing in the core mm.  But, there did not
> >> seem to be a clear concensus especially with the thought that we may
> >> need to double hugetlb code to get types right.
> >
> > This is primarily your call as a maintainer. If you ask me, hugetlb is
> > over complicated in its current form already. Regression are not really
> > seldom when code is added which is a signal we are hitting maintenance
> > cost walls. This doesn't mean further development is impossible of
> > course but it is increasingly more costly AFAICS.
> >
> >> Unless I missed something, there was no clear direction at the end of this
> >> session.  I was hoping that we could come up with a plan to address the
> >> issues facing today's hugetlb users.  IMO, there seems to be two options:
> >> 1) Start work on hugetlb v2 with the intention that customers will need
> >>     to move to this to address their issues.
> >> 2) Incorporate functionality like HGM into existing hugetlb.
> >

> I fully agree with all that Michal said.
>
> I'm just going to add that I don't see why anyone would look into a
> hugetlbv2 if we're going to use the motivation of "help existing users"
> to make hugetlb ever-more complicated and special. "existing users" her
> even meaning "people use hugetlb for backing VMs. Now they want to get
> postcopy working with less latency." -- which I consider partially a new
> use case.
>
> So working on adding HGM and concurrently starting a hugetlbv2? I don't
> think that will happen if we decide on adding HGM and proceeding with
> that reasoning about existing users.
>
> As expressed yesterday, I don't see a fast an clean way to make hugetlb
> significantly less special (thanks Willy for the list of odd cases).
>
> Sure, we can talk about adding pte_t safety, but I don't really see a
> way forward to unify page table walking code that way -- there are still
> the (PT) locking, PMD sharing, PTE-cont special cases ... but sure, if
> anybody wants to work on that, why not.
>
> Having that said, like Michal, I acknowledge that it is Mikes call
> regarding the hugetlb code. I, for my part, will push back on any added
> core-mm complexity that adds more special casing for hugetlb. Maybe
> there are easy ways to integrate it nicely and that is not really a concern.

HGM is mostly contained in the already-existing HugeTLB special cases.
HGM doesn't really *add* special cases, it just makes the HugeTLB
special cases more complicated.

There are a few small ways that HGM touches non-hugetlb code:
1. Mapcount (to make hugetlb use the THP scheme) [1], newer version here[2]
2. madvise (to add MADV_SPLIT and update MADV_COLLAPSE) [3] and [4]
3. A small non-hugetlb changes to page_vma_mapped_walk (provide pte_order)[5]
4. A small special case in try_to_unmap_one and try_to_migrate_one (to
check the head page for page flags)[6]
5. smaps stats[7]

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20230218002819.1486479-6-jthoughton@xxxxxxxxxx/
[2]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20230306230004.1387007-1-jthoughton@xxxxxxxxxx/
[3]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20230218002819.1486479-10-jthoughton@xxxxxxxxxx/
[4]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20230218002819.1486479-35-jthoughton@xxxxxxxxxx/
[5]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20230218002819.1486479-27-jthoughton@xxxxxxxxxx/
[6]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20230218002819.1486479-29-jthoughton@xxxxxxxxxx/
[7]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20230218002819.1486479-39-jthoughton@xxxxxxxxxx/

> Note that while we've been discussing how HGM would already interfere
> with core-mm, we've not even started discussing how actual
> MADV_SPLIT/MADV_COLLAPSE/page poisioning ... would affect core-mm and
> require special-casing for hugetlb.
>
> I, for my part, will explore a bit the mapcount topic (as time permits)
> and see if we can come up at least with a unified mapcount approach
> (e.g., sub-page mapcount?). But I suspect even figuring that out will
> take quite a while already ...

Thanks! Simply using the current THP mapcount scheme with HGM isn't
great (but IIUC this isn't blocking HGM). By using this scheme,
HugeTLB loses the vmemmap optimization / page struct freeing when HGM
is in use, and, of course, this scheme gets slow with very large
folios.