Re: [Invitation] Linux MM Alignment Session on HugeTLB Core MM Convergence on Wednesday

On Thu, Jun 15, 2023 at 10:24:24AM -0700, James Houghton wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2023 at 1:30 AM David Hildenbrand <david@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > My impression from the discussion yesterday was that the level of
> > > unification would need to be really large and time consuming in order to
> > > be useful for the HGM patchset to be in a more maintainable form. The
> > > final outcome is quite hard to predict at this stage.

> > > This is primarily your call as a maintainer. If you ask me, hugetlb is
> > > over complicated in its current form already. Regression are not really
> > > seldom when code is added which is a signal we are hitting maintenance
> > > cost walls. This doesn't mean further development is impossible of
> > > course but it is increasingly more costly AFAICS.

> > I fully agree with all that Michal said.
> >
> > I'm just going to add that I don't see why anyone would look into a
> > hugetlbv2 if we're going to use the motivation of "help existing users"
> > to make hugetlb ever-more complicated and special. "existing users" her
> > even meaning "people use hugetlb for backing VMs. Now they want to get
> > postcopy working with less latency." -- which I consider partially a new
> > use case.
> >
> > So working on adding HGM and concurrently starting a hugetlbv2? I don't
> > think that will happen if we decide on adding HGM and proceeding with
> > that reasoning about existing users.
> >
> > As expressed yesterday, I don't see a fast an clean way to make hugetlb
> > significantly less special (thanks Willy for the list of odd cases).
> >
> > Sure, we can talk about adding pte_t safety, but I don't really see a
> > way forward to unify page table walking code that way -- there are still
> > the (PT) locking, PMD sharing, PTE-cont special cases ... but sure, if
> > anybody wants to work on that, why not.
> >
> > Having that said, like Michal, I acknowledge that it is Mikes call
> > regarding the hugetlb code. I, for my part, will push back on any added
> > core-mm complexity that adds more special casing for hugetlb. Maybe
> > there are easy ways to integrate it nicely and that is not really a concern.
>
> HGM is mostly contained in the already-existing HugeTLB special cases.
> HGM doesn't really *add* special cases, it just makes the HugeTLB
> special cases more complicated.

Maybe we shouldn't account all the changes in HGM series to "add complexity
to hugetlb" indeed.  Some of the changes may be still needed even if / when
there is the hugetlbv2.

IMHO the goal should be trying our best to reduce the ones that still in
account due to hugetlb's specialties within v1.  Personally if anyone can
prove that he/she tried the best on approaching that and showed progress on
getting us more closer to a "converged" state, I'll be fine to merge HGM
within v1 when the special code can be reduced also to minimum.

> There are a few small ways that HGM touches non-hugetlb code:
> 1. Mapcount (to make hugetlb use the THP scheme) [1], newer version here[2]

This seems totally benign to me, as this switches hugetlb to use thp
mapcounts.  I'd say this does not make hugetlb special but instead making
it slightly forward to convergence..

If we want v2, we can design whatever better way to do mapcount, maybe not
only for hugetlb but also for thp.  But that seems to always be able to be
done on top of merging the two major large folios first.

> 2. madvise (to add MADV_SPLIT and update MADV_COLLAPSE) [3] and [4]

This is needed no matter what; I'd say not accounted for
"over-complicating" hugetlb.

> 3. A small non-hugetlb changes to page_vma_mapped_walk (provide pte_order)[5]

A few lines of complexity, maybe not a big issue.

> 4. A small special case in try_to_unmap_one and try_to_migrate_one (to
> check the head page for page flags)[6]

Seems to be an extended specialty due to different handling over hwpoisoned
large pages.  Not sure whether it can be worked out from memory failure
side to merge the behavior against thp.

> 5. smaps stats[7]

Seems also benign.  Even if hugetlb merges with generic mm, someone could
propose some statistics over less-than-huge sized hugetlb mapping
statistics, then that'll be it.  Not directly relevant to core mm, IMHO.

> [1]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20230218002819.1486479-6-jthoughton@xxxxxxxxxx/
> [2]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20230306230004.1387007-1-jthoughton@xxxxxxxxxx/
> [3]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20230218002819.1486479-10-jthoughton@xxxxxxxxxx/
> [4]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20230218002819.1486479-35-jthoughton@xxxxxxxxxx/
> [5]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20230218002819.1486479-27-jthoughton@xxxxxxxxxx/
> [6]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20230218002819.1486479-29-jthoughton@xxxxxxxxxx/
> [7]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20230218002819.1486479-39-jthoughton@xxxxxxxxxx/

I didn't read HGM for a long time, but afair a few hundreds of LOCs lie in
the pgtable walking changes which should probably be accounted into "adding
complexity" if we say hugetlb will converge one day with core mm.  That's
one (out of many issues) that Matthew listed in his slides yesterday that
hugetlb may need an eye looking at for convergence.

Does it mean that this might be a good spot to pay some more attention?  I
know this goes back to the very early stage where we were discussing what
would be the best way to walk hugetlb pgtable knowing that we can map 4K
over a 2M, but I think it may be slightly different: at least we're clearer
that now we want to merge that with core mm.

I think it means the possibility to mostly deprecate huge_pte_offset().
James/Mike/anyone, have any of you looked into that area?  Would above make
any sense at all?

Thanks,

--
Peter Xu