Re: [Invitation] Linux MM Alignment Session on HugeTLB Core MM Convergence on Wednesday

On Wed 14-06-23 16:04:58, Mike Kravetz wrote:
> On 06/12/23 18:59, David Rientjes wrote:
> > This week's topic will be a technical brainstorming session on HugeTLB
> > convergence with the core MM.  This has been discussed most recently in
> > this thread:
> > https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/ZIOEDTUBrBg6tepk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/T/
>
> Thank you David for putting this session together!  And, thanks to everyone
> who participated.
>
> Following up on linux-mm with most active participants on Cc (sorry if I
> missed someone).   If it makes more sense to continue the above thread,
> please move there.
>
> Even though everyone knows that hugetlb is special cased throughout the
> core mm, it came to a head with the proposed introduction of HGM.  TBH,
> few people in the core mm community paid much attention to HGM when first
> introduced.  A LSF/MM session was then dedicated to the discussion of
> HGM with the outcome being the suggestion to create a new filesystem/driver
> (hugetlb2 if you will) that would satisfy the use cases requiring HGM.
> One thing that was not emphasized at LSF/MM is that there are existing
> hugetlb users experiencing major issues that could be addressed with HGM:
> specifically the issues of memory errors and live migration.  That was
> the starting point for recent discussion in the above thread.
>
> I may be wrong, but it appeared the direction of that thread was to
> first try and unify some of the hugetlb and core mm code.  Eliminate
> some of the special casing.  If hugetlb was less of a special case, then
> perhaps HGM would be more acceptable.  That is the impression I (perhaps
> incorrectly) had going into today's session.

My impression from the discussion yesterday was that the level of
unification would need to be really large and time consuming in order to
be useful for the HGM patchset to be in a more maintainable form. The
final outcome is quite hard to predict at this stage.

> During today's session, we often discussed what would/could be introduced
> in a hugetlb v2.  The idea is that this would be the ideal place for HGM.
> However, people also made the comparisons to cgroup v1 - v2.  Such a
> redesign provides the needed 'clean slate' to do things right, but it
> does little for existing users who would be unwilling to quickly move off
> existing hugetlb.
>
> We did spend a good chunk of time on hugetlb/core mm unification and
> removing special casing.  In some (most) of these cases, the benefit of
> removing special cases from core mm would result in adding more code to
> hugetlb.  For example: proper type'ing so that hugetlb does not treat
> all page table entries as PTEs.  Again, I may be wrong but I think
> people were OK with adding more code (and even complexity) to hugetlb
> if it eliminated special casing in the core mm.  But, there did not
> seem to be a clear concensus especially with the thought that we may
> need to double hugetlb code to get types right.

This is primarily your call as a maintainer. If you ask me, hugetlb is
over complicated in its current form already. Regression are not really
seldom when code is added which is a signal we are hitting maintenance
cost walls. This doesn't mean further development is impossible of
course but it is increasingly more costly AFAICS.

> Unless I missed something, there was no clear direction at the end of this
> session.  I was hoping that we could come up with a plan to address the
> issues facing today's hugetlb users.  IMO, there seems to be two options:
> 1) Start work on hugetlb v2 with the intention that customers will need
>    to move to this to address their issues.
> 2) Incorporate functionality like HGM into existing hugetlb.

>From the memcg experience I can tell that cleaning up interfaces and
supported scenarios helped a lot. We still have to maintain v1 and will
have to for a foreseeable future and beyond but it is much more easier
to build a new functionality on top v2 without struggling how to hammer
that into v1 which is much more easier to generate corner cases.

I fully understand that this is not really a great approach for users
from the short term POV because they have to adapt but I am pretty sure
that they would also appreciate long term stable and regression free
code.

It is my understanding that most HGM users do not really benefit from
most of hugetlb features (shared page tables, reservation code etc) and
from that POV it makes some sense to start from a simpler code base.

I do recognize there are other users who would like their existing
hugetlb setups keep working and benefit from a better support - page
poisoning comes to mind but is this really that easy without
considerable changes on the user space side?

Memory error recovery problems are a really tough to deal with
AFAICS. Do we have any references to an existing userspace that would
able to deal with holes in their hugetlb pages? Or is this a chicken&egg
problem? Have we exhausted potential (even if coarse) solutions that
wouldn't require breaking hugetlb page tables?

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs