Re: [Invitation] Linux MM Alignment Session on HugeTLB Core MM Convergence on Wednesday

On Thu, Jun 15, 2023 at 10:00:41AM -0700, James Houghton wrote:
> I can't speak in detail about how databases recover from memory
> poison. Mike, maybe you can share more details?

Speaking generally (this would describe MySQL as well as any number of
proprietary databases), hugetlbfs is used by databases as a supplier
of memory to their userspace buffer cache.  As database blocks are
needed, they're read from storage using O_DIRECT.  Depending on the
database, they may or may not be updated in place.

Just as in our page cache, if the hwpoison hits in a clean block, it
can discard the block and re-read it.  If it hits in a dirty block, it's
Game Over.  Most blocks are clean.  A 1GB page contains so many blocks
that taking out the entire 1GB is guaranteed to take out a dirty block.
Taking out a single 4kB page is likely to take out only clean blocks.