Re: [patch]vmscan: make kswapd use a correct order

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 12:03:42PM +0000, Mel Gorman wrote:

> > This was part of the problem.  kswapd was throwing so much out while
> > trying to meet the watermark in zone Normal that the daemons had to keep
> > being read back in from /dev/sda (non-ssd), and this ended up causing
> > degraded performance.
>
> But there is still potentially two problems here. The first was kswapd
> throwing out everything in zone normal. Even when fixed, there is
> potentially still too many pages being thrown out. The situation might
> be improved but not repaired.

Yes.

> > > Before you said SLUB was using only order-0 and order-1, I would have
> > > suspected lumpy reclaim. Without high-order allocations, fragmentation
> > > is not a problem and shouldn't be triggering a mass freeing of memory.
> > > can you confirm with perf that there is no other constant source of
> > > high-order allocations?
> >
> > Let me clarify: On _another_ box, with 2.6.36 but without your patches
> > and without as much load or SSD devices, I forced slub to use order-0
> > except where order-1 was absolutely necessary (objects > 4096 bytes),
> > just to see what impact this had on free memory.  There was a change,
> > but still lots of memory left free.  I was trying to avoid confusion by
> > posting graphs from different machines, but here is that one just as a
> > reference: http://0x.ca/sim/ref/2.6.36/memory_stor25r_week.png
> > (I made the slub order adjustment on Tuesday, November 30th.)
> > The spikes are actually from mail nightly expunge/purge runs.  It seems
> > that minimizing the slub orders did remove the large free spike that
> > was happening during mailbox compaction runs (nightly), and overall there
> > was a bit more memory used on average, but it definitely didn't "fix" it.
>
> Ok, but it's still evidence that lumpy reclaim is still the problem here. This
> should be "fixed" by reclaim/compaction which has less impact and frees
> fewer pages than lumpy reclaim. If necessary, I can backport this to 2.6.36
> for you to verify. There is little chance the series would be accepted into
> -stable but you'd at least know that 2.6.37 or 2.6.38 would behave as expected.

Isn't lumpy reclaim supposed to _improve_ this situation by trying to
free contiguous stuff rather than shooting aimlessly until contiguous
pages appear?  Or is there some other point to it?  If this is the case,
maybe the issue is that lumpy reclaim isn't happening soon enough, so it
shoots around too much before it tries to look for lumpy stuff.  In
2.6.3[67], set_lumpy_reclaim_mode() only sets lumpy mode if sc->order >
PAGE_ALLOC_COSTLY_ORDER (>= 4), or if priority < DEF_PRIORITY - 2.

Also, try_to_compact_pages() bails without doing anything when order <=
PAGE_ALLOC_COSTLY_ORDER, which is the order I'm seeing problems at.  So,
without further chanegs, I don't see how CONFIG_COMPACTION or 2.6.37 will
make any difference, unless I'm missing some related 2.6.37 changes.

> > There are definitely pages that are leaking from dovecot or similar which
> > can be swapped out and not swapped in again (you can see "apps" growing),
> > but there are no tasks I can think of that would ever cause the system to
> > be starved.
>
> So dovecot has a memory leak? As you say, this shouldn't starve the system
> but it's inevitable that swap usage will grow over time.

Yeah, we just squashed what seemed to be the biggest leak in dovecot, so
this should stop happening once we rebuild and restart everything.

> > The calls to pageout() seem to happen if sc.may_writepage is
> > set, which seems to happen when it thinks it has scanned enough without
> > making enough progress.  Could this happen just from too much
> > fragmentation?
> >

> Not on its own but if too many pages have to be scanned due to
> fragmentation, it can get set.
>
> > The swapping seems to be at a slow but constant rate, so maybe it's
>
> I assume you mean swap usage is growing at a slow but constant rate?

Yes.

> > happening just due to the way the types of allocations are biasing to
> > Normal instead of DMA32, or vice-versa.
> > Check out the latest memory
> > graphs for the server running your original patch:
> >
> > http://0x.ca/sim/ref/2.6.36/memory_mel_patch_dec4.png
>
> Do you think the growth in swap usage is due to dovecot leaking?

I guess we'll find out shortly, with dovecot being fixed. :)

> > http://0x.ca/sim/ref/2.6.36/zoneinfo_mel_patch_dec4
> > http://0x.ca/sim/ref/2.6.36/pagetypeinfo_mel_patch_dec4
> >
> > Hmm, pagetypeinfo shows none or only a few of the pages in Normal are
> > considered reclaimable...
> >

> Reclaimable in the context of pagetypeinfo means slab-reclaimable. The
> results imply that very few slab allocations are being satisified from
> the Normal zone or at least very few have been released recently.

Hmm, ok.

Simon-