Re: [RFC 0/2] V4L2 API for exposing flash subdevs as LED class device

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 3:54 AM, Sakari Ailus <sakari.ailus@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Andrzej,
>
> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 10:34:53AM +0200, Andrzej Hajda wrote:

>> > I don't like having two APIs either. Especially we shouldn't have multiple
>> > drivers implementing different APIs for the same device.
>> >
>> > That said, I wonder if it's possible to support camera-related use cases
>> > using the LED API: it's originally designed for quite different devices.
>> > Even if you could handle flash strobing using the LED API, the functionality
>> > provided by the Media controller and subdev APIs will always be missing:
>> > device enumeration and association with the right camera.
>> Is there a generic way to associate flash and camera subdevs in
>> current V4L2 API? The only ways I see now are:
>> - both belongs to the same media controller, but this is not enough if there
>> is more than one camera subdev in that controller,
>
> Yes, there is. That's the group_id field in struct media_entity_desc. The
> lens subdev is associated to the rest of the devices the same way.
>
>> - using media links/pads - at first sight it seems to be overkill/abuse...
>
> No. Links describe the flow of data, not relations between entities.

>> > I'm leaning towards providing a wrapper that provides torch functionality
>> > using V4L2 flash API unless it's really proven to be insane. ;-) The code
>> > supporting that in an individual flash driver should be minimal --- which is
>> > what the patchset essentially already does.
>> Providing only torch functionality do not require adding new attributes
>> (besides the ones already present in the led_classdev), so the patch will
>> be much simpler.
>
> Yes. Attributes could be added later on to the LED API to support flash and
> the wrapper could be extended accordingly. My thinking is however that the
> main use case is torch, not strobing flash, so it would be fulfilled already
> without extensions to the LED API.

Sorry for replying so late.

I think Milo Kim did some work in our LED subsystem by add LED Flash
trigger for camera device. I agree it doesn't satisfy the usage of
V4L2 Flash API and what I'm thinking about is expanding the LED Flash
trigger driver to export a well defined sysfs interface, so user space
libv4l2 can wrap it for applications.

Thanks,
-Bryan