Re: [media-workshop] V2: Agenda for the Edinburgh mini-summit

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Sakari,
>
> On Tuesday 08 October 2013 00:06:23 Sakari Ailus wrote:

>> > The PWM subsystem is most definitely not a good fit for this. The only
>> > thing it provides is a way for other drivers to access a PWM device and
>> > use it for some specific purpose (pwm-backlight, leds-pwm).
>> >
>> > The sysfs support is a convenience for people that needs to use a PWM in
>> > a way for which no driver framework exists, or for which it doesn't make
>> > sense to write a driver. Or for testing.

>> > Perhaps it would make sense for V4L2 to be able to use a LED as exposed
>> > by the LED subsystem and wrap it so that it can be integrated with V4L2?
>> > If functionality is missing from the LED subsystem I suppose that could
>> > be added.
>>
>> The V4L2 flash API supports also xenon flashes, not only LED ones. That
>> said, I agree there's a common subset of functionality most LED flash
>> controllers implement.
>>
>> > If I understand correctly, the V4L2 subsystem uses LEDs as flashes for
>> > camera devices. I can easily imagine that there are devices out there
>> > which provide functionality beyond what a regular LED will provide. So
>> > perhaps for things such as mobile phones, which typically use a plain
>> > LED to illuminate the surroundings, an LED wrapped into something that
>> > emulates the flash functionality could work. But I doubt that the LED
>> > subsystem is a good fit for anything beyond that.
>>
>> I originally thought one way to do this could be to make it as easy as
>> possible to support both APIs in driver which some aregued, to which I
>> agree, is rather poor desing.
>>
>> Does the LED API have a user space interface library like libv4l2? If yes,
>> one option oculd be to implement the wrapper between the V4L2 and LED APIs
>> there so that the applications using the LED API could also access those
>> devices that implement the V4L2 flash API. Torch mode functionality is
>> common between the two right now AFAIU,
>>
>> The V4L2 flash API also provides a way to strobe the flash using an external
>> trigger which typically connected to the sensor (and the user can choose
>> between that and software strobe). I guess that and Xenon flashes aren't
>> currently covered by the LED API.
>
> The issue is that we have a LED API targetted at controlling LEDs, a V4L2
> flash API targetted at controlling flashes, and hardware devices somewhere in
> the middle that can be used to provide LED or flash function. Merging the two
> APIs on the kernel side, with a compatibility layer for both kernel space and
> user space APIs, might be an idea worth investigating.

I'm so sorry for jumping in the discussion so late. Some how the
emails from linux-media was archived in my Gmail and I haven't
checkout this for several weeks.

I agree right now LED API doesn't  quite fit for the usage of V4L2
Flash API. But I'd also like to see a unified API.

Currently, LED API are exported to user space as sysfs interface,
while V4L2 Flash APIs are like IOCTL and user space library. We also
merged some LED Flash trigger into LED subsystem. My basic idea is
what about creating or expanding the LED Flash trigger driver and
provide a well defined sysfs interface, which can be wrapped into user
space libv4l2.

Thanks,
-Bryan