Re: [RFC 0/2] V4L2 API for exposing flash subdevs as LED class device

Hi Bryan,

On Thursday 10 October 2013 17:07:22 Bryan Wu wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 3:54 AM, Sakari Ailus <sakari.ailus@xxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Is there a generic way to associate flash and camera subdevs in
> >> current V4L2 API? The only ways I see now are:
> >> - both belongs to the same media controller, but this is not enough if
> >> there is more than one camera subdev in that controller,
> >
> > Yes, there is. That's the group_id field in struct media_entity_desc. The
> > lens subdev is associated to the rest of the devices the same way.
> >
> >> - using media links/pads - at first sight it seems to be
> >> overkill/abuse...
> >
> > No. Links describe the flow of data, not relations between entities.

> >> Providing only torch functionality do not require adding new attributes
> >> (besides the ones already present in the led_classdev), so the patch will
> >> be much simpler.
> >
> > Yes. Attributes could be added later on to the LED API to support flash
> > and the wrapper could be extended accordingly. My thinking is however that
> > the main use case is torch, not strobing flash, so it would be fulfilled
> > already without extensions to the LED API.
>
> Sorry for replying so late.
>
> I think Milo Kim did some work in our LED subsystem by add LED Flash
> trigger for camera device. I agree it doesn't satisfy the usage of
> V4L2 Flash API and what I'm thinking about is expanding the LED Flash
> trigger driver to export a well defined sysfs interface, so user space
> libv4l2 can wrap it for applications.

I've replied to your comment in the media-summit agenda mail thread, but the
discussion belongs here, so here's a repost. Let's try to keep replies in this
mail thread.

The biggest reason why we're not fond of sysfs-based APIs for media devices is
that they can't provide atomicity. There's no way to set multiple parameters
in a single operation.

We can't get rid of the sysfs LEDs API, but maybe we could have a unified
kernel LED/flash subsystem that would provide both a sysfs-based API to ensure
compatibility with current userspace software and an ioctl-based API (possibly
through V4L2 controls). That way LED/flash devices would be registered with a
single subsystem, and the corresponding drivers won't have to care about the
API exposed to userspace. That would require a major refactoring of the in-
kernel APIs though.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart