Re: AverTVHD Volar Max (h286DU)

On Fri, 2012-06-29 at 15:55 -0400, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 3:10 PM,  <aschuler@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I've found that most, if not all, cable boxes do not pass
> > through CC data, because they are meant to interpret it and
> > pass it on with customized formatting and whatnot, so another
> > scaling challenge will be finding a feed that I can use
> > without a cable box. OTA broadcasts have been my testing
> > ground because they are so readily available.
>
> Yeah, the fact that many cable boxes don't provide a way to expose CC
> data other than their inserting the decoded text into the video is
> pretty frustrating.  Bear in mind though that since you don't care
> about the video then as long as the cable box has standard definition
> outputs then it may very well include the CC data (HD component and
> HDMI don't have a way to send CC data, but the older standard def
> outputs still do).

And for the SD analog outputs (CVBS or S-Video) of such boxes you would
need an analog capture device in you Linux system.  There are at least a
few devices supported under linux that provide VBI data (e.g. CC) output
independent of the digitized video.

FWIW, I have noticed that ATSC OTA to analog NTSC converter boxes output
a very nicely formed CC signal in the VBI.  I have no experience with
cable boxes.

Regards,
Andy