Re: HVR-1600 (model 74351 rev F1F5) analog Red Screen

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Eric B Munson <emunson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Andy Walls <awalls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I looked into this.
>>
>> Apparently the tda18271 tuner driver doesn't report back analog
>> frequency setting.  So reading back 0.00000 MHz is OK.

>>> I have applied these patches and I am still seeing the same problem (frequency
>>> still report 0 after being set) and mplayer still closes immediately.
>>
>> I don't have those patches applied.   I just tested my 74351 HVR-1600
>> again tonight, and analog channel 3 works for me.  I don't know what to
>> say....

>>> Still shows not present on channel 3.
>>
>> OK.  Tonight was the first time I have *ever* been able to reproduce the
>> "red screen" out of a CX23418.
>>
>> I am fairly sure the red screen happens because of some kernel bug or
>> PCI bus problem that ends up corrupting the CX23418 registers
>> responsible for configuring the CX25843 A/V core inside of the CX23418.
>> The '843 core is responsible for digitizing the analog video, so when it
>> stops functioning, the result is a red screen. I guess the root cause
>> could also happen due to some thermal or power condition causes the '843
>> core to stop, but I think that is less likely.
>>
>> Anyway, when you're going to get a red screen, the '843 core will always
>> indicate "cx18-N 843: Video signal:    not present", even if there is a
>> signal present from the analog tuner and demodulator chips.

>>> Unfortunately, I do not have anything I can use to test these.  The card only
>>> takes coaxial or S-Video input and I don't have any sort of S-Video cables or
>>> converters.
>>
>> With new HVR-1600 from Hauppauge, an adapter for plugging a Composite
>> RCA cable  into the S-Video jack is in the box.
>>
>> It looks very much like the one at the end of this thread, but it is
>> grey in color:
>>
>>        http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=22115
>>
>> If this is a second hand card, or one bought from e-Bay, etc. have you
>> ever tested it in a Windows machine with the Hauppauge Windows drivers?
>> (In other words, are you reasonably confident the card is not defective
>> or broken.)
>>

>> When testing tonight, I unloaded all the drivers, performed the
>> following commands to get verbose debugging, and saved the dmesg:
>>
>>  # modinfo tuner
>>  # modprobe tuner debug=7
>>  # modinfo tda8290
>>  # modprobe tda8290 debug=7
>>  # modinfo tda18271
>>  # modprobe tda18271 debug=31
>>  # modinfo cx18
>>  # modprobe cx18 debug=255
>>
>>  # ivtv-tune -d /dev/video1 -c3
>>  # v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video1 --log-status
>>
>>  # mplayer /dev/video1 -cache 8192
>>
>> I'll send you the 138 kB dmesg file off list, so you can see the
>> messgaes generated by a functioning 73451 HVR-1600 setup.  Note that the
>> card of interest in the dmesg output was 'cx18-1'.
>>
>> You'll want to look to see that the TDA18271 and TDA8290 related
> [...]

I was able to get a video signal off of the card yesterday.  I believe
that my motherboard suffers from the timing issue and when I remove
add re-add the modules things start to come together.  MythTV still
isn't working but at least I know kernel and hardware are fine.
Thanks so much for all of your help.

Eric