Re: HVR-1600 (model 74351 rev F1F5) analog Red Screen

On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 14:36 -0400, Eric B Munson wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Eric B Munson <emunson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Eric,
> >>
> >> You are likely missing the last 3 fixes here:
> >>
> >> http://git.linuxtv.org/awalls/media_tree.git?a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/cx18_39
> >>
> >> (one of which is critical for analog to work).
> >>
> >> Also check the ivtv-users and ivtv-devel list for past discussions on
> >> the "red screen" showing up for known well supported models and what to
> >> try.
> >>
> > Thanks, I will try hand applying these.
> >

> I don't have a red screen anymore, now all get from analog static and
> mythtv's digital channel scanner now seems broken.

Hmmm.

1. Please provide the output of dmesg when the cx18 driver loads.

2. Please provide the output of v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 --log status
when tuned to an analog channel.

3. Please provide the relevant portion of the mythbackend log where
where the digital scanner starts and then fails.

4. Does digital tuning still work in MythTV despite the digital scanner
not working?

5. Please don't use MythTV to troubleshoot; it is too complex to
properly eliminate variables.  Test digital with the dvb utilities
described here:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/LinuxTV_dvb-apps
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Testing_your_DVB_device

Once I have a channels.conf file made, I usually use azap (ATSC) and
femon to check that I can tune to a digital channel and get a lock.
Then I use mplayer to check that the content is viewable.

The things that spring to mind that could be wrong:

1. I didn't check that digital still worked when I added my analog
changes.  Shame on me, but honestly they *shouldn't* have broken it.
(Famous last words...)

2. The tda8290 driver module for the new analog demodulator had an I2C
address bug introduced recently (hardcoded to the wrong address in
tda8290 module), but a fix was also applied recently.  You may have the
bug, but not the fix.

3. The new HVR-1600 has a worldwide analog tuner that the cx18 driver
defaults to NTSC-M.  If you use another analog standard, you will need
to use v4l2-ctl to set the proper standard (PAL-B/G/H/I, SECAM-L/L',
etc.)

(Be advised, I have no time to look at any of this at the moment. The
soonest would be 11 April.)

Regards,
Andy