Re: HVR-1600 (model 74351 rev F1F5) analog Red Screen

On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 13:12 -0400, Eric B Munson wrote:

> > > (the driver defaults to US channel 4)?
> > >
> > > emunson@grover:~$ v4l2-ctl -F
> > > Frequency: 0 (0.000000 MHz)
> > > emunson@grover:~$ v4l2-ctl -f 259.250
> > > Frequency set to 4148 (259.250000 MHz)
> > > emunson@grover:~$ v4l2-ctl -F
> > > Frequency: 0 (0.000000 MHz)
> >
> > OK, that doesn't look good.  The tda18271 tuner and/or tda8290 demod
> > drivers may not be working right.

I looked into this.

Apparently the tda18271 tuner driver doesn't report back analog
frequency setting.  So reading back 0.00000 MHz is OK.

> > I'll have to look into that later this week.
> >
> > BTW, Mike Krufky just submitted some patches that may be relevant:
> >
> > 	http://kernellabs.com/hg/~mkrufky/tda18271-fix
> >

> I have applied these patches and I am still seeing the same problem (frequency
> still report 0 after being set) and mplayer still closes immediately.

I don't have those patches applied.   I just tested my 74351 HVR-1600
again tonight, and analog channel 3 works for me.  I don't know what to
say....

> > > Yeah,
> > >    [94465.349721] cx18-0 843: Video signal:              not present
> >
> > The tuner or demod isn't tuning to a channel or getting a signal.
> >
> > Can you try channel 3 (61.250 MHz)?  That one works for me.
>
> Still shows not present on channel 3.

OK.  Tonight was the first time I have *ever* been able to reproduce the
"red screen" out of a CX23418.

I am fairly sure the red screen happens because of some kernel bug or
PCI bus problem that ends up corrupting the CX23418 registers
responsible for configuring the CX25843 A/V core inside of the CX23418.
The '843 core is responsible for digitizing the analog video, so when it
stops functioning, the result is a red screen. I guess the root cause
could also happen due to some thermal or power condition causes the '843
core to stop, but I think that is less likely.

Anyway, when you're going to get a red screen, the '843 core will always
indicate "cx18-N 843: Video signal:    not present", even if there is a
signal present from the analog tuner and demodulator chips.

> > > emunson@grover:~$ mplayer /dev/video0 -cache 8192
> > > MPlayer 1.0rc4-4.4.5 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
> > >
> > > Playing /dev/video0.
> > > Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)
> > >

> > > Exiting... (End of file)
> >
> > Hmmm.  I would have expected at least a black picture with snow, if not
> > tuned to a channel.
> >
> > Does analog S-Video or Composite work?
>
> Unfortunately, I do not have anything I can use to test these.  The card only
> takes coaxial or S-Video input and I don't have any sort of S-Video cables or
> converters.

With new HVR-1600 from Hauppauge, an adapter for plugging a Composite
RCA cable  into the S-Video jack is in the box.

It looks very much like the one at the end of this thread, but it is
grey in color:

	http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=22115

If this is a second hand card, or one bought from e-Bay, etc. have you
ever tested it in a Windows machine with the Hauppauge Windows drivers?
(In other words, are you reasonably confident the card is not defective
or broken.)

When testing tonight, I unloaded all the drivers, performed the
following commands to get verbose debugging, and saved the dmesg:

 # modinfo tuner
 # modprobe tuner debug=7
 # modinfo tda8290
 # modprobe tda8290 debug=7
 # modinfo tda18271
 # modprobe tda18271 debug=31
 # modinfo cx18
 # modprobe cx18 debug=255

 # ivtv-tune -d /dev/video1 -c3
 # v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video1 --log-status

 # mplayer /dev/video1 -cache 8192

I'll send you the 138 kB dmesg file off list, so you can see the
messgaes generated by a functioning 73451 HVR-1600 setup.  Note that the
card of interest in the dmesg output was 'cx18-1'.

You'll want to look to see that the TDA18271 and TDA8290 related
messages look the same, to get reasonable assurance that the tuner and
demodulator chip are being set up properly and repsonding.

If you consistently get "cx18-N 843: Video signal:  not present" in your
v4l2-ctl --log-status output but the tuner chip configurations look good
(i.e. closely match the debug output from my machine), then you really
have a "red screen" problem versus a problem related to the analog
tuner/demod chips.

The "red screen" will be a tough one to track down.  It's a system level
issue, likely involving one or more of:

1. a kernel bug in a driver for some other hardware in your system
2. a hardware problem with your PCI chipset when the PCI bus is heavily
loaded
3. a power or thermal condition that causes problems for the HVR-1600
hardware

I usually start by recommending that all non-critical linux driver
modules be blacklisted (or not loaded), and booting the system into
run-level 3 or lower (no X windows), when trying to isolate the cause in
any one system.

Regards,
Andy