Re: saa7146: please test the vb2 conversion!

Hi Hans,

great to read, that it is finally done, thank you for your work!

On 24/03/23 11:40 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On 24/03/2023 11:37, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I finished the vb2 conversion and tested what I could test. I am missing
>> 'full featured' hardware, so I could not test the analog video capture part
There is some miss understanding.
At VDR 'full featured' refers to all DVB-cards with decoder and OSD.

I wasn't aware, that this definition doesn't seem to be common, sorry.
>> of that. It's not clear to me if VBI capture is also supported on those
>> cards, if so, then that needs to be tested as well.
>>
>> Note that there is one userspace-facing change: the VBI output settings
>> are kept, even if the vbi device is closed by the application.
>>
>> Before you had to open the vbi device, format the slice VBI output, and
>> write sliced VBI data to it. Closing the device would reset how VBI output
>> behaves. That is not in spec with the V4L2 API. The format is kept after
>> the device is closed.
>>
>> Any application that uses VBI output and that wants to keep the same
>> behavior would have to call VIDIOC_S_FMT with a struct v4l2_sliced_vbi_format
>> with a service_set field set to 0 to indicate that you don't want to
>> output any VBI anymore.
>>
>> If this is a problem, then I can make a module option that selects the old
>> behavior.
>>
>> BTW, if anyone has a spare full-featured card (i.e. with analog video capture
>> as well), then I would love to take it off your hands so that I can test that
>> myself!
There are only DVB-C boards with analog features.

I personally never had cable-TV nor own any DVB-C cards.
But I try to find such a card with an analog module on it.

>> This series has been tested on the two Hexium boards, the mxb board, and two
>> av7710 boards (DVB-C and DVB-T).

I can test on the DVB-S hardware.

But let me finish the API-documentation fist, it is almost done.
There are only the complains from chackpatch left to fix, I hope it is done quickly.

Regards
Stefan