Re: Future of the SAA7146 drivers

Hi Stefan, Hans,

On 02.02.23 00:12, Stefan Herdler wrote:
Hi Hans, Sören,

On 01/02/23, 10:15 Hans Verkuil wrote:

[...]

Once it is converted to vb2 the driver can stay.

Note that the driver might need a bit more work: we use the
v4l2-compliance
utility to test V4L2 API compliance of a driver, and after the vb2
conversion the driver should pass this test. So the compliance test
might
find some other things that do not work as they should, and it would be
really good to clean that up as well. Usually the things it finds are
pretty
easy to fix.

For the records, as long I remember it:
The "Buget Patch" driver is superfluous and can be removed.
This driver is for an experimental hardware-mod which never really
worked. No such hardware was ever produced.
I was really surprised to see it.
I own such card, as I wrote earlier. The budget patch works great and is
necessary for such cards. Please keep it.

Regards,
Soeren

There is a long lasting controversy about the deprecated 3
DVB-API-files
for the av7110 driver.
Sören stated he is tired about that discussions and looking for
permanent solution without having to rewrite the whole driver.

In this case I'm just the messenger, but I would also prefer a
permanent
solution.
That is why I made the suggestion with the driver specific UAPI file.
The av7110 driver is only driver using this API-part.
And the modification is fairly easy and the impact minimal.

May that be a compromise all parties can live with?

Moving it to a public av7110.h header makes sense to me.

I've done this already.
Primary for my self to see if and how it may work.
I'll attach the patch, maybe it is helpful.

Theoretically there shouldn't be a difference whether the headers are in
1 or 3 files.
Unused symbols should be removed by the compiler while optimization the
result should be identical.
I was just curious and decided to try it.

Unfortunately I couldn't test it yet. But hopefully next weekend.
There seems to be an issue with new kernel and my Nvidia graphics-card.
But the kernel builds and boots into text console.

It's a nice-to-have in my view, and moving it to a driver-specific API
should avoid future discussions. The fact remains that as long as
people use this API we can't remove it, however much we would want to.

I think the main problem has always been that we are surprised at how
many people still use these cards. It's very similar in that respect
to the bttv driver: very old, but still in use.

I own one too.
Such cards can still be handy for digitizing family videos and stuff.

The difference appears to be that the use of saa7146 cards is confined
to a specific region (esp. Germany), whereas bttv is in use worldwide.

Until recently I wasn't aware that there are no saa7146 cards for ATSC
nor ISDB.

Because of that we just miss that it is still in use.

Having an active maintainer should help with that.

Regards,

    Hans