Re: Future of the SAA7146 drivers

On 08/02/23 10:08, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

[...]

with a big fat notice that
these APIs are now av7110 specific
Don't worry there are only the 2 fullfeatured-cards using this API and
just because of historical reasons. The driver of the "new"
HD-fullfeatured-card dates back to 2008 (*).
Meanwhile here have been written several specific output-device-plugins
for vdr using V4L-API, vaapi, vdpau, ...
There are no plans to use this part of the DVB-API ever again.

Ok. If that's the case, maybe we can just keep the api without changes.

Yet, in order to move av7110 out of staging, we should finish documenting
the API (or drop the unused/undocumented parts of it).

Hi Mauro,
that sounds like a good plan to me.

Documentation is a solvable problem. At least for the parts used by the
full-featured-cards.
The VDR-plugin-API is pretty well documented (1) and the output-plugin
for the full-featured-cards push most commands right trough.

It is still a laborious task to crosscheck the documents, but most
information should be already there.
I think I'll get it done, but it my take a while depending on my other
duties.

Documenting the "unused" parts could be difficult.
There is no helpful documentation about the "enigma2" receivers. At
least I haven't found some.
This receivers are also not completely open source. The the drivers seem
to be binary only.
The only things I know for sure are: The OSD-part of the DVB-API isn't
used (2) and the audio- and video-part are used (3).
I manged to find the file where the headers are included (4), but there
is no documentation either.

I think I'll start with the used parts and see how far I come.
I'll mail again when I'm done, probably in 2 or 3 weeks.

Thanks and Regards

Stefan

(* The driver is out-of-tree and doesn't count. It is just about the date.)
   (as they have almost always been in
practice).

Thanks,
Mauro