Re: What ever happened to standardizing signal level?

Hans Verkuil wrote:
On Sunday 30 May 2010 09:07:46 VDR User wrote:
On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 2:09 AM, Mike Booth <mike_booth76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
i think someone is too concerned about being precisely accurate. So much so
that no-one can see the woods for the trees any more.

Its not important to me that accuracy is spot on. I only want to know that
when tuning the dish I'm getting \better or worse.
I tend to agree with this.  Ultimately what's important is not
necessarily that the readings are 100% accurate, but rather simply put
into some kind of universal scale that provides useful output to the
user.  Many users were happy to see some activity addressing this
issue and unfortunately it seems to have stalled out but I'm not sure
why.  I honestly felt there was enough common ground being discussed
that we'd have a solution by now.

To the best of my knowledge Mike Krufky intended to work on this but he
clearly no longer has time to do that work.

Mike, can you perhaps explain what you wanted to do? Hopefully someone else
can find the time to implement it.

Regards,

	Hans

..."clearly no longer has time" -- please do not speak on my behalf -- I have taken a break from v4l-dvb, and I will return when I have time for it again.

I already did a lot of the work for standardizing signal level, but I need to clean it up, consider new demod modules, push trees and send pull requests. Right now, correct -- I don't have time for it. I'll likely get to this by mid-august -- I will have more time again by then.

I have a plethora of changes in my queue that I have to burn through and merge, including j-rod's lgdt3304 support. I used to get this stuff done very quickly, but there is a lot of change going on in my life right now... When things settle down here, I'll be back in full force. :-)

Regards,

Mike Krufky

Regards,

Mike