Re: What ever happened to standardizing signal level?

On Saturday 29 May 2010 14:45:40 Konstantin Dimitrov wrote:
> at least in driver for the frontend found on TBS 6980 Dual DVB-S2 card
> i added options "esno" and "dbm" respectively for reporting SNR
> (actually C/N) in EsNo dB and signal strength in dBm, which is at
> least real statistics about the signal and not like almost meaningless
> percents. so, that's one way to go. some DVB-S/S2 demodulators use
> EsNo dB and other EbNo dB and so maybe step toward some
> standardization is routines for conversion between those two. also,
> maybe there will be common agreement how to convert signal strength in
> dBm to percents and SNR (C/N) in EsNo or EbNo dB to percents. i
> believe that will guarantee more standard way to give information
> about the signal, but it's just my opinion.
>
> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 6:09 AM, VDR User <user.vdr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > A lot of people were anticipating this happening but it seems to have
> > stalled out.  Does anyone know what the intentions are?  Many users
> > were also hoping to _finally_ get a good signal meter for linux as
> > well.  If anyone has any info, please share!
> > --

i think someone is too concerned about being precisely accurate. So much so
that no-one can see the woods for the trees any more.

Its not important to me that accuracy is spot on. I only want to know that
when tuning the dish I'm getting \better or worse.

A mate has fixed this locally. So will we get a plethora of patches all trying
to do the same thing.

Mike