Re: Kworld Plus TV Hybrid PCI (DVB-T 210SE)

on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:50 am
in the Usenet newsgroup gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure
hermann pitton wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 15.04.2010, 23:30 +1000 schrieb 0123peter@xxxxxxxxx:
>> on Thu, 15 Apr 2010 01:32 pm
>> in the Usenet newsgroup gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure
>> hermann pitton wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > to be honest, there is a little too much delay on those reports.
>>
>> I have been very slow, sorry.
>
> no problem, but it becomes also a little hard to me to recap the issues.
>
> As said, Hartmut had the best pointers I guess.

>> > No, not at all for my knowledge.
>>
>> Unsurprisingly, that just highlights my ignorance.

>> > It is totally up to you and all others with that hardware.
>>
>> Can you provide a like for where to start reading?
>
> README.patches.
>
>      Part III - Best Practices
> 	1. Community best practices
> 	2. Mercurial specific procedures
> 	3. Knowing about newer patches committed at the development repositories
> 	4. Patch submission from the community
> 	5. Identifying regressions with Mercurial

I have not found the file README.patches.

>> > Since already in some multiple broken conditions, never working without
>> > flaws previously, I would suggest not to wait any longer, until some
>> > sort of hadron collider is available ...
>>
>> Now I'm discouraged.  It might be a better use of my time to do
>> something else - anything else.  Maybe I'll just put it in a box
>> for a year and see what happens.
>
> I (un)fortunately ;) don't have such hardware and Hartmut did not have
> any at that time either.
>
> Don't just wait, also no need to hurry on next day.
>
> If the problem is described well, someone can take it as a challenge to
> work on it. We indeed had people from CERN fixing tuners.
>
> Trying to recap.

I have allowed things to get confused.

> You have been interested to add the card to auto detection, but firmware
> load was only successful in one of three cases only already that time
> and we have not been aware of that flaw in the beginning.

I am not the original poster.

When a link was posted that mentioned one of my cards
(an MSI TV@nywhere A/D) I said, "Aha".

Because there was a different, working, card next to it, problems
with the MSI were less obvious than they should have been.

In retrospect, the MSI has not worked at all for a long time and
might have always been a little bit unreliable.

I have not noticed a one-in-three firmware load failure on the MSI.
That would have been the original poster about his Kworld.
Although I did post a bit of dmesg that I thought might be relevant.

> Hartmut assumed later, on such a card is some locking protection needed
> during the firmware load, and my guess is the longish tuner
> initialization sequence gets corrupted, because of that missing locking,
> and all goes doom. (at least well known on all of such before any
> support for the tda8275a)
>
> Now, improved, only one of ten tries loads the firmware and keeps the
> card in a responding state. That is of course also very unpleasant for
> using mercurial bisect, I really do admit.
>
> Also, as reported too now, with two of such kind of cards in one
> machine, likely better don't try at all.

My MSI tuner is currently in a test computer with no other tuner cards.

--
Sig goes here...
Peter D.