Re: Kworld Plus TV Hybrid PCI (DVB-T 210SE)

on Tue, 30 Mar 2010 07:52 am
in the Usenet newsgroup gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure
hermann pitton wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Am Montag, den 29.03.2010, 23:10 +1100 schrieb 0123peter@xxxxxxxxx:
>

>> Hi Hermann,
>>
>> I've been "fixing" my PC to the state that it stopped working.
>> Hence the delay.
>>
>> > Hi Peter,

>> > to not leave you without any response at least.
>> >
>> > In hind sight, seeing how unfortunate using such devices can be, mainly
>> > because of being forced to try at random again with a cold boot after
>> > some i2c war brought down the tuner, we better should have such only in
>> > a still experimental league and not as supported.
>> >
>> > This was not foreseeable in such rudeness and neither Hartmut nor me
>> > have such devices.
>> >
>> > The Asus triple OEM 3in1 I have does not have any problems with loading
>> > firmware from file, the others do all get it from eeprom.
>> >
>> > So, actually nobody is investigating on it with real hardware.
>> >
>> > Maybe you can catch something with gpio_tracking and i2c_debug=1.
>> > I would expect that the complex analog tuner initialization gets broken
>> > somehow. This is at least known to be good to bring all down.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Hermann
>>
>> There was a patch about alignment that went through recently.
>> Revert "V4L/DVB (11906): saa7134: Use v4l bounding/alignment function"
>> Maybe that was it.
>
> did not even notice a problem with Trent's prior patch.
> The same is also at vivi.
>
>> Should I have a file called /etc/modprobe.d/TVanywhereAD
>> that contains the line,
>>
>> options saa7134 card=94 gpio_tracking i2c_debug=1
>>
>> and then watch the command line output of "kaffeine"?

I've found a GUI that allows tweaking lots of module parameters
that I have never heard of.  Card=94 in the config file,
gpio_tracking and i2c_debug are set to "1" in the GUI.

Strange things are appearing in dmesg and syslog.  I assume that
[snip]
saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom f0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
i2c-adapter i2c-0: Invalid 7-bit address 0x7a
saa7133[0]: i2c xfer: < 8e ERROR: NO_DEVICE
[snip]
is significant.

> If you want to produce debug output for failing firmware loading from
> file after a cold boot, yes, you might eventually be able to see that
> failing tuner initialization brings down i2c.
>
> If it is a additional new regression, then mercurial bisect can find the
> patch in question fairly quick.

That sounds like something that I should be able to do, if only
I'd read the instructions.

> Mauro has a MSI cardbus device using also the card=94 entry, but at home
> he has no DVB-T.
>
> Cheers,
> Hermann

Would you like me to post a 2000 line /var/log/dmesg?

--
Sig goes here...
Peter D.