Re: [ANNOUNCE] git tree repositories & libv4l

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Manu Abraham wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

>> What's the advantage in merging the dvb and v4l2 utils, other than to
>> make the download/clone bigger ?
>
> There aren't any big advantages on merging, nor there are big advantages on keeping
> them alone.
>
> Advantages to merge:
>        - One single release control. Currently, only Hans de Goede is doing a
> good job with release names, on libv4l. By having everything into one place, all other
> v4l2-apps and dvb-apps will have a release name, making easier even for us when helping
> people with troubles (as we'll know for sure if they're using the latest version or
> a very old version;
>        - One single tree for the user to download, for IR, DVB and V4L apps;
>        - Distro packagers will have one single tarball to maintain.
>
> Disadvantages:
>        - More people will need access to the same git master tree;
>        - The tree will be bigger.

It is quite noble to think of having to have everything unified in the
world. But that doesn't seem how things are in practice. It's quite
understood that the concept of "one-single-ring-to-rule-them-all"
doesn't work well.

The mercurial dvb-apps tree has worked quite well for me as well as
the other few people who have been involved with it and don't have any
problems in that arena and I am very happy with it on that front.

FWIW, I am not very much interested to move to git.

Are we making a mockery, switching between SCM's every now and then .. ?

Maybe there are others as well, who feel that way. But that's not the
more important point. For me, it is like simply that a simple update
is quite fast and easy.

FWIW: dvb-apps is not about any real application development, but acts
as an aid for other applications to be built. In some cases, it can
aid as a quick test tools, which can isolate users issues, when carry
forward issues from other applications.

On the contrary we have had a few libs, which are in use by some
applications. These came up as Andrew, myself and Julian wanted to
have some libraries to setup things real quick. Johannes provided some
directions in which how developments could proceed to make things look
good. Later on, Andrew ran away from all v4l, dvb related
developments, because he was irritated quite a lot too much.

With regards to distro stuff; This is best left to distro vendors. I
don't really appreciate this distro-speak that you make every now and
then. In the light that which you speak, it would be even much nobler
to think of a pakage or rpm such as
distro-application-packages.foobar. But such a merging of all the
applications and utilities do not really mean anything and is useless.
All it does is: irritate people.

With regards to release control, we have had a 1.1.1 release. Looking
back, we haven't had a proper stable state yet, for another release.
Thinking of which, it is more of these discussions that hold back real
development rather than anything else. Moving to git, or have a merged
tree with v4l2 and dvb utils is not going to make dvb-apps development
any faster.

On the contrary, I don't think it is going to help dvb-apps in anyway
on the development front, but rather make it worser.

My few cents, being one of the dvb-apps maintainers and author of some
the bits and pieces in it.

Regards,
Manu