Re: [ANNOUNCE] git tree repositories & libv4l

On 22:12 Mon 22 Feb 2010, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> >> According to the wiki[1] these tools are without a maintainer. So, if
> >> no one cares about them enough to make releases why merge them and
> >> clutter up the git tree with dead code?
> >>
> >> [1] http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/LinuxTV_dvb-apps
> >
> > That's weird. I've recently added support for ISDB-T on it:
> > 	http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mchehab/dvb-apps-isdbt2/
> >
> > and we've got some comments at the mailing list. Btw, the patches
> > I added there also adds DVB-S2 support to szap/scan, but tests
> > are needed, since I don't have any satellite dish nowadays.
> >

> That's said, if all the issues are the ones listed above, I can try
> to address them on the next months, to put it into a better
> shape. That's said, I don't think we should have a single maintainer
> for it: there are too many DTV standards already, and probably
> nobody with enough time has access to all of those (DVB-T, DVB-T2,
> DVB-S, DVB-S2, ISDB-T, ISDB-S, ATSC, DSS, ...).  So, I think we need
> a team of volunteers that will try to help with the standards they
> have access.

I was not suggesting a single maintainer but I wanted to make sure
there was actual interest in maintaing and fixing these dvb things. I
don't interact much at all with DVB so all I had to go on was the wiki
page.

> That's said, I'm starting to agree with Hans: maybe the better seems
> to merge it with v4l2-apps, to get synergy in terms, at least in
> terms of packet management.
>
> Comments?

Seems reasonable to me. I would be willing to be the merge point for
all of the various maintainers of dvb and v4l things and release
manager for making the actual tar.gz releases.

I wrote up the conversion for dvb-apps too. The merge of the two trees
conflict pretty trivially so it should be easy to clean up if we go
this route:

#	unmerged:   COPYING
#	unmerged:   INSTALL
#	unmerged:   Make.rules
#	unmerged:   Makefile
#	unmerged:   README
#	unmerged:   lib/Makefile
#	unmerged:   utils/Makefile

If you want to give it a whirl.

  git clone git://ifup.org/philips/create-v4l-utils.git
  cd create-v4l-utils/
  git checkout -b dvb-apps-too origin/dvb-apps-too
  ./convert.sh

The result will be in step3 with the merge conflicts.

Cheers,

	Brandon