Re: CI USB

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Konstantin Dimitrov
> <kosio.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 1:43 AM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Maybe it is not CI+ itself in the first place

>>> It would be interesting to know what chips the hardware has  ...
>>
>> i can confirm the information here:
>>
>> * http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-CI
>>
>> and it contains:
>>
>> * "an FX2 from Cypress (CY7C68013A) and a FPGA (Actel Proasic-plus, APA075-F)"
>>

> No CI+ in there ... Generic USB bridge with microcontroller and
> possibly a FPGA programmed by Hauppauge themselves, most probably. The

no, the whole Hauppauge device is actually made by SmartDTV even on
the board there is a title "SmartDTV Rev..."

also, Terratec device is the same as Hauppauge device, they even look the same:

http://www.terratec.net/en/products/Cinergy_CI_USB_2296.html

and Terratec driver for Windows says "Copyright SmarDTV.", which means
it's made by SmarDTV.

actually, Terratec driver for Windows is essentially the same as
Hauppauge one, because firmware extracted from both drivers is the
same (they update the firmware with driver updates, so matching
versions of Terratec and Hauppauge driver is needed to check that the
firmwares are the same).

> bridge would be similar to other DVB USB devices, Application on the
> FPGA would be more or less similar to the one found on general DVB CI
> devices.
>
> If it's not a Masked FPGA, it would need to load it's instructions
> some place, maybe an EEPROM or maybe from the firmware that you need
> load itself. Some part of the firmware that you load could be partly
> for the microcontroller on the USB bridge as well.

i believe that "40 A3" firmware requests are for the USB controller
and then the subsequent "40 A3" firmware requests are to load the FPGA
instructions through the USB controller.