Re: CI USB

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Emmanuel <eallaud@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Markus Rechberger a écrit :
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 11:55 PM, HoP <jpetrous@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Jonas

>>> You are right. Seems DVB CI stick is not targeted to end consumers.
>>>
>>> Anyway, it looks interesting, even it requires additional DVB tuner
>>> "somewhere in the pc" what means duplicated traffic (to the CI stick
>>> for descrambling and back for mpeg a/v decoding).
>>>
>>> It would be nice to see such stuff working in linux, but because of
>>> market targeting i don' t expect that.
>>>
>>> BTW, Hauppauge's WinTV-CI looked much more promissing.
>>> At least when I started reading whole thread about it here:
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-dvb@xxxxxxxxxxx/msg28113.html
>>>
>>> Unfortunatelly, last Steve's note about not getting anything
>>> (even any answer) has disappointed me fully. And because
>>> google is quiet about any progress on it I pressume
>>> no any docu nor driver was released later on.
>>>

>> The question is more or less how many people are interested in USB CI
>> support for Linux.
>> We basically have everything to provide a USB CI solution for linux now.
>>
>> Markus
>> --

I don't know the details into the USB device, but each of those CAM's
have bandwidth limits on them and they vary from one CAM to the other.
Also, there is a limit on the number of simultaneous PID's that which
you can decrypt.

Some allow only 1 PID, some allow 3. Those are the basic CAM's for
home usage.The most expensive CAM's allow a maximum of 24 PID's. But
then you would be better of buying multiple CAM's for a home use
purpose.

> Also some card (at least for DVB-S) are really good but targeted towards
> free channels, and in France for example, alot of good channels are not.
> If the price is right (tm) I am sure a lot of people would be interested.
> Bye
> Manu

Regards,
Mmanu