Re: SAA716x DVB driver

Hi Jemma,

Op 19-01-18 om 16:11 schreef Jemma Denson:
Hi Tycho,

On 19/01/18 13:59, Tycho Lürsen wrote:
Hi Jemma,

I'm with you: let's get merged at least something!

Did you find  a maintainer for this driver?
I can do simple stuff like in my fork of Soeren Moch's repo, but thats
where it ends. I dont have the knowledge needed to maintain a driver.
Not yet, but I can't really say I've been looking - unfortunately real
life got in the way of anything over christmas. I'm not sure I do
either, but it really depends on what's required. From what I can see
from maintaining another driver then as long as the driver is working
there's not a whole lot to do.
Right, but we still need a maintainer. Are you capable/willing to volunteer for the job?

I think that your proposal to use a stripped version of Luis Alves
repo is a no go, since it contains a couple of demod/tuner drivers
that are not upstreamed yet. That complicates the upstreaming process
too much, I think.
Oh, I would have stripped it *right* down and removed every card except
my TBS6280. The end result would probably be pretty close to Soeren's at
that point anyway, so I was starting to think like what you've done and
base it on that instead.
If you want, I can strip the driver down a lot more and ad back the drivers you need. Just tell me what it is you need.

I used a stripped version of Soeren Moch's repo to prove its stability
instead, adding the drivers I need so I can test it. You can see what
I did at :
https://github.com/bas-t/linux-saa716x/commits/for-media-stripped

This has been tested with linux 4.9.77, 4.14.14 and 4.15-rc8.
Works like a charm for me.

Looks like a good start, I'd be tempted to remove all the other cards
though unless you have them available to test with. Keeps the submission
simpler and less to worry about, they can be added back in later if
someone has an itch to scratch (and hardware to test with!).
Isn't that a bit drastic?
I mean: those few drivers have been there for ages, and I can't recall anyone complaining about them in a serious way.

I do have a few other tbs 716x cards available here at work so might be
able to test some others out, but we're a bit busy at the moment so
would have to be on my own time and there's not much of that available
at the moment either :(
As I said: give me the numbers of your tbs cards and I will add support for them (if they are supported by Luis Alves repo). That way you are able to test the stability of the saa716x driver in it's present state.

Jemma.
Tycho.