Re: [GIT PULL] SAA716x DVB driver

Hi Mauro,

On 27/11/17 11:24, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
Em Fri, 24 Nov 2017 17:28:37 +0100
Tycho Lürsen <tycholursen@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

Hi Mauro,

afaik the last communication about submission of this driver was about
two months ago.

This driver is important to me, because I own several TurboSight cards
that are saa716x based. I want to submit a patch that supports my cards.
Of course I can only do so when you accept this driver in the first place.

Any chance you and Sören agree about how to proceed about this driver
anytime soon?
If we can reach an agreement about what should be done for the driver
to be promoted from staging some day, I'll merge it. Otherwise,
it can be kept maintained out of tree. This driver has been maintained
OOT for a very long time, and it seems that people were happy with
that, as only at the second half of this year someone is requesting
to merge it.

So, while I agree that the best is to merge it upstream and
address the issues that made it OOT for a long time, we shouldn't
rush it with the risk of doing more harm than good.

Thanks,
Mauro

Would I be correct in thinking the main blocker to this is the *_ff features
used by the S2-6400 card? There's plenty of other cards using this chipset
that don't need that part.

Would a solution for now to be a driver with the ff components stripped out,
and then the ff API work can be done later when / if there's any interest?

I guess a problem would be finding a maintainer, I'm happy to put together
a stripped down driver just supporting the TBS card I use (I already have
one I use with dkms), but I'm not sure I have the time or knowledge of this
chipset to be a maintainer. Unfortunately my workplace is phasing out
these cards otherwise I'd try and get them to sponsor me rather than do it
on my own time!

Jemma.