Re: POSIX manual pages

Hi Brian,

On 2023-09-15 19:17, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> This does exist: <https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages-posix.git/>
>> Although it would be nice to have the terms be explicitly stated in the repository.
>
> Already there in POSIX-COPYRIGHT?

Indeed.

>> -  Contribute directly to the POSIX source code.
>
> The Austin group has their own mailing list, bug tracker, process for tracking
> defect reports, handling their formatting and content issues, and a sometimes
> prolonged timeframe for doing so.

You have to go through many hoops to do that.  They could be more open in that
regard.  And it would certainly be much better if I could propose a patch
against the source code.

> You can only be responsible for formatting POSIX/SUS/Open Group content in a
> compatible manner.
>
>> -  Maintain the translation script.
>>
>>     Alternatively, I'd like to make groff(1) be able to translate files written
>>     in any macro package into roff(7), but that's either hard or impossible.
>>     Branden, do you regard it as hard or as impossible?  Is the same answer true
>>     for a groff(1)-like program written from scratch with this in mind?  :)
>>
>> -  Remove the man(7) generated pages from the repo.  One should build the pages
>>     with make(1), but they should not be part of any repository.
>
> If there are any formatting issues, that is what you have to maintain.

If there are formatting issues, they could fix them upstream.  Of course, if
upstream doesn't patch, then I'll have to do that, but I'd like to minimize it.

>>     I'd like to include the POSIX source code as a git submodule, or something
>>     similar.  Or maybe have the man-pages-posix repo be a fork of it.
>
> That may be a good way to access the upstream, but the file names look to me
> like SCCS edit temp files, so perhaps a strictly POSIX system using only
> strictly POSIX tools, on which they can "eat their own dog food"?
>
> As your upstream content appears from the sample shown by Eric and the
> conversion in posix.py to possibly be a mix of mm and mdoc macros and variants,
> it might be easier to generate POSIX pages in mandoc/groff_mdoc format, if you
> could live with that, and maintain those.

Yes, although we'd need to generate a script for that.  But yeah, I'm completely
open to mdoc(7) for this.

> [That is how the other main genre of (BSD) distros do man pages, and most
> systems have a mix from BSD derived packages (and those who prefer mandoc to
> man) e.g. dash(1), dejagnu(1), etc.]

Cheers,
Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
GPG key fingerprint: A9348594CE31283A826FBDD8D57633D441E25BB5