Re: POSIX manual pages

On 2023-09-13 10:15, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
Hi Andrew,

[I reordered your answer for my response.]

On 2023-09-05 14:34, Andrew Josey wrote:

hi Alejandro

Apologies for the delay.

NP

Are you in touch with Michael Kerrisk?

Nope.

It also appeared in discussions with Michael in 2020, that he had a way to convert the source format to man page format.

Yep, this is probably "the way":

<https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages-posix.git/tree/posix.py>

In the past we have worked with him and made a permissions grant - which outlines the terms we are able to grant — these are limited
by the copyright holders.

I understand.  Would it be possible to suggest the copyright holders opening a
little bit more?  The C++ standard seems to be more open (it has a public git
repository with the source of the drafts) [1].  Maybe POSIX could do something
similar?    It would make contributions to the man-pages-posix project easier,
as contributors would be able to test the script with the original sources;
instead of just blindly trying something, and asking the maintainer to try it
with the secret sources.

[1]:  <https://github.com/cplusplus/draft>

Hi Alex,

Perhaps you could request terms allowing you to maintain your own downstream repo(s) of the *generated* man pages, as you do of the linux man pages @ alejandro-colomar.es & git.kernel.org?

There would need to be a COPYRIGHT/COLOPHON disclaimer about content issues to be addressed to the Austin Group, and man page formatting issues to a posix-man list, if they are or you want to keep them separate, and kernel.org is agreeable to hosting a vger./lore.kernel.org posix-man list and git.kernel.org repo?

There are unlikely to be man page changes issued between releases (or released between issues?).

                                -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[PDF drafts are freely available to registered users for personal use under:

	https://www.opengroup.org/austin/restricted/

discussions are freely visible in the bug tracker

	https://www.austingroupbugs.net/

documents are freely available via the document register

	https://www.opengroup.org/austin/docreg.html

with both shown on the mailing list archived at

	https://www.mail-archive.com/austin-group-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/

which also has an Atom/RSS feed (which I prefer to use for most lists)

	https://www.mail-archive.com/austin-group-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/maillist.xml.]