POSIX manual pages

Hi Andrew, Geoff,

I'm the maintainer of the Linux man-pages project[1], and also of the
man-pages-posix project[2].

[1]:  <https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git/>
[2]:  <https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages-posix.git/>

From those upstream projects, GNU/Linux distros distribute packages like
Debian's manpages-posix and manpages-posix-dev (in the non-free
section)[3].

[3]:  <https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/hppa/manpages-posix>

I find it very uncomfortable to maintain the man-pages-posix project, as
I don't have access to the source code of the pages.  I don't know what
agreement was reached with the previous maintainer of the project,
Michael Kerrisk, but I'd like to ask if it would be possible to open the
sources, and what conditions would be nonnegotiable for something like
that to happen.

Ideally, I'd be able to make a fork of POSIX's git repository, and push
that fork to the kernel.org repo.  Maybe POSIX requires that the pages
not be modified, or some section mentioning that the page has been
modified and is not a source of truth.

I intend to distribute the pages as close as possible to the originals,
with little to no modification; the only kind of modifications that I
have in mind are typo fixes and formatting fixes, and use the build
system of the Linux man-pages project, but I'd keep the source code
largely untouched.

You'd probably have a source of bug reports here too.  :)

Thanks,

Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
GPG key fingerprint: A9348594CE31283A826FBDD8D57633D441E25BB5