Re: SPDX license review requests

Hi Andi,

On 5/30/23 14:47, Andi Kleen wrote:

>> VERBATIM_ONE_PARA
>> 	This license was first used in the Linux man-pages in version
>> 	1.24 (year 1999) in several pages:
>>
>> 		sendfile.2
>> 			Pawel Krawczyk
>> 		cmsg.3
>> 			Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>
>
> I assume there's no need to change these.
>
>> VERBATIM_TWO_PARA
>> 	This license was first used in the Linux man-pages in version
>> 	3.07 (year 2008) in a single page:
>>
>> 		move_pages.2
>> 			Added by Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxx>,
>> 			but Copyright (C) 2006 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
>> 			                  Christoph Lameter
>>
>> 	It was later reused in another page:
>>
>> 		migrate_pages.2
>> 			Copyright 2009 Intel Corporation
>> .\"                Author: Andi Kleen
>> .\" Based on the move_pages manpage which was
>> .\" This manpage is Copyright (C) 2006 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
>> .\"                               Christoph Lameter
>>
>> 	This license is the one considered non-free by Fedora, and which
>> 	we need to drop.  Luckily it's only two pages, so they could be
>> 	reasonably rewritten in a worst case.
>
> Not sure I followed why it is non-free, but I'm ok with relicensing my portions
> of this to VERBATIM_ONE_PARA.

I was confused.  It was another license that was non-free (LDPv1).  This is
fine for Fedora too.

I don't want to force anyone to change the license; if you like it, we'll
keep it.  However, since I don't think there's much significant difference
between those two licenses above, and the more widely used
Linux-man-pages-copyleft, if you just chose the license randomly back then,
it might be good to reduce the quantity of licenses that we use in the
project.

So, given this, if you give consent to change your pages to use
Linux-man-pages-copyleft, I'll do so provided for the pages that are
completely yours, and will keep in mind that when others agree, I'll also
change the pages that are shared.

If you don't, then everything is fine.

Cheers,
Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
GPG key fingerprint: A9348594CE31283A826FBDD8D57633D441E25BB5