Re: SPDX license review requests

Hi list!

We've got 4 derivatives of the "VERBATIM" (now one of them in SPDX
as Linux-man-pages-copyleft") license.  I'll paste here the four.

===========

$ cat LICENSES/Linux-man-pages-copyleft.txt
Copyright (c) <year> <owner> All rights reserved.

Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this
manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are
preserved on all copies.

Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of
this manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that
the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of
a permission notice identical to this one.

Since the Linux kernel and libraries are constantly changing, this
manual page may be incorrect or out-of-date.  The author(s) assume
no responsibility for errors or omissions, or for damages resulting
from the use of the information contained herein.  The author(s) may
not have taken the same level of care in the production of this
manual, which is licensed free of charge, as they might when working
professionally.

Formatted or processed versions of this manual, if unaccompanied by
the source, must acknowledge the copyright and authors of this work.

===========

$ head -n21 man2/set_mempolicy.2
.\" Copyright 2003,2004 Andi Kleen, SuSE Labs.
.\" and Copyright 2007 Lee Schermerhorn, Hewlett Packard
.\"
.\" %%%LICENSE_START(VERBATIM_PROF)
[...]
.\" %%%LICENSE_END

===========

$ head -n8 man2/getcpu.2
.\" This man page is Copyright (C) 2006 Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>.
.\"
.\" %%%LICENSE_START(VERBATIM_ONE_PARA)
.\" Permission is granted to distribute possibly modified copies
.\" of this page provided the header is included verbatim,
.\" and in case of nontrivial modification author and date
.\" of the modification is added to the header.
.\" %%%LICENSE_END

===========

$ head -n13 man2/move_pages.2
.\" This manpage is Copyright (C) 2006 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
.\"                               Christoph Lameter
.\"
.\" %%%LICENSE_START(VERBATIM_TWO_PARA)
.\" Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this
.\" manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are
.\" preserved on all copies.
.\"
.\" Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this
.\" manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the
.\" entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a
.\" permission notice identical to this one.
.\" %%%LICENSE_END

===========

And here go the copyright holders:

$ grep -rl VERBATIM man* \
| xargs grep -L 'VERBATIM_PROF' \
| xargs grep -hi -e copyright -e '(c)' \
| sort \
| uniq;
.\" Copyright (C) 2008-2014, Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxx>,
.\" Copyright 2009 Intel Corporation
.\" This man page is Copyright (C) 1998 Alan Cox.
.\" This man page is Copyright (C) 1998 Heiner Eisen.
.\" This man page is Copyright (C) 1998 Pawel Krawczyk.
.\" This man page is Copyright (C) 1999 Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>,
.\" This man page is Copyright (C) 1999 Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>.
.\" This man page is Copyright (C) 1999 Claus Fischer.
.\" This man page is Copyright (C) 1999 Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxx>.
.\" This man page is Copyright (C) 2000 Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>.
.\" This man page is Copyright (C) 2006 Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>.
.\" This manpage is Copyright (C) 2006 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
.\" and Copyright (C) 2008 Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxx>
.\" and Copyright (C) 2016, Heinrich Schuchardt <xypron.glpk@xxxxxx>
.\" and copyright (c) 1999 Matthew Wilcox.
.\" manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are

I CCd the ones for which I know their email.

===========

Here goes some comments about them:

The one and two paragraph licenses are almost identical to the usual
one.  There seems to be a small diference regarding translations in
the 2-paragraph one, being more restrictive.  Was that intentional?
Or maybe it was just an accident, and there was no intention of
disallowing translations?

Would you please relicense to either Linux-man-pages-copyleft or
VERBATIM_PROF?

Also, Linux-man-pages-copyleft seems to contain a sentence that
makes it differ from VERBATIM_PROF:

"""
  The author(s) may
not have taken the same level of care in the production of this
manual, which is licensed free of charge, as they might when working
professionally.
"""

I believe the quality of non-professional code and manuals to be
at least as high as the professional one.  We have more freedom to
reject crap.  I propose also deprecating Linux-man-pages-copyleft
and moving to VERBATIM_PROF as the single surviving license from
all four variants.

We're also discussing the names that each of these four should be
given in SPDX.

I suggest (in order of appearance in this email):

-  Linux-man-pages-copyleft to be renamed to the following, and
   mark it as a deprecated license.

	Linux-man-pages-copyleft-nopro
	Linux man-pages Copyleft (non-professional)

-  VERBATIM_PROF to be SPDX'd as:

	Linux-man-pages-copyleft-qual
	Linux man-pages Copyleft (high quality)

-  VERBATIM_TWO_PARA to be SPDX'd as:

	Linux-man-pages-copyleft-notrans
	Linux man-pages Copyleft (no translations)

-  VERBATIM_ONE_PARA to be SPDX'd as:

	Linux-man-pages-copyleft-verbatim
	Linux man-pages Copyleft (verbatim)

Cheers,
Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
GPG key fingerprint: A9348594CE31283A826FBDD8D57633D441E25BB5