Re: SPDX license review requests

[Minor self corrections.]

On 5/26/23 00:56, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> [...]
> no responsibility for errors or omissions, or for damages resulting
> from the use of the information contained herein.  The author(s) may
> not have taken the same level of care in the production of this
> manual, which is licensed free of charge, as they might when working
> professionally.
>
> Formatted or processed versions of this manual, if unaccompanied by
> the source, must acknowledge the copyright and authors of this work.
>
> ===========
>
> $ head -n21 man2/set_mempolicy.2
> .\" Copyright 2003,2004 Andi Kleen, SuSE Labs.
> .\" and Copyright 2007 Lee Schermerhorn, Hewlett Packard
> .\"
> .\" %%%LICENSE_START(VERBATIM_PROF)
> .\" Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this
> .\" manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are
> .\" preserved on all copies.
> .\"
> .\" Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this
> .\" manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the
> .\" entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a
> .\" permission notice identical to this one.
> .\"
> .\" Since the Linux kernel and libraries are constantly changing, this
> .\" manual page may be incorrect or out-of-date.  The author(s) assume no
> .\" responsibility for errors or omissions, or for damages resulting from
> .\" the use of the information contained herein.
> .\"
> .\" Formatted or processed versions of this manual, if unaccompanied by
> .\" the source, must acknowledge the copyright and authors of this work.
> .\" %%%LICENSE_END
>
> ===========
>
> $ head -n8 man2/getcpu.2
> .\" This man page is Copyright (C) 2006 Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>.
> .\"
> .\" %%%LICENSE_START(VERBATIM_ONE_PARA)
> .\" Permission is granted to distribute possibly modified copies
> .\" of this page provided the header is included verbatim,
> .\" and in case of nontrivial modification author and date
> .\" of the modification is added to the header.
> .\" %%%LICENSE_END
>
> ===========
>
> $ head -n13 man2/move_pages.2
> .\" This manpage is Copyright (C) 2006 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
> .\"                               Christoph Lameter
> .\"
> .\" %%%LICENSE_START(VERBATIM_TWO_PARA)
> .\" Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this
> .\" manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are
> .\" preserved on all copies.
> .\"
> .\" Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this
> .\" manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the
> .\" entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a
> .\" permission notice identical to this one.

of _TWO_PARA and _ONE_PARA, which are the main ones I want to get rid of.
_TWO_PARA seems to be non-free according to Fedora (and they seem right).

> $ grep -rl VERBATIM man* \
> | xargs grep -L 'VERBATIM_PROF' \
> | xargs grep -hi -e copyright -e '(c)' \
> | sort \
> | uniq;
> .\" Copyright (C) 2008-2014, Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxx>,
> .\" Copyright 2009 Intel Corporation
> .\" This man page is Copyright (C) 1998 Alan Cox.
> .\" This man page is Copyright (C) 1998 Heiner Eisen.
> .\" This man page is Copyright (C) 1998 Pawel Krawczyk.
> .\" This man page is Copyright (C) 1999 Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>,
> .\" This man page is Copyright (C) 1999 Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>.
> .\" This man page is Copyright (C) 1999 Claus Fischer.
> .\" This man page is Copyright (C) 1999 Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxx>.
> .\" This man page is Copyright (C) 2000 Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>.
> .\" This man page is Copyright (C) 2006 Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>.
> .\" This manpage is Copyright (C) 2006 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
> .\" and Copyright (C) 2008 Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxx>
> .\" and Copyright (C) 2016, Heinrich Schuchardt <xypron.glpk@xxxxxx>
> .\" and copyright (c) 1999 Matthew Wilcox.
> .\" manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are
>
> I CCd the ones for which I know their email.
>
> ===========
>
> Here goes some comments about them:
>
> The one and two paragraph licenses are almost identical to the usual
> one.  There seems to be a small diference regarding translations in
> the 2-paragraph one, being more restrictive.  Was that intentional?
> Or maybe it was just an accident, and there was no intention of
> disallowing translations?
>
> Would you please relicense to either Linux-man-pages-copyleft or
> VERBATIM_PROF?
>

> Also, Linux-man-pages-copyleft seems to contain a sentence that
> makes it differ from VERBATIM_PROF:
>
> """
>   The author(s) may
> not have taken the same level of care in the production of this
> manual, which is licensed free of charge, as they might when working
> professionally.
> """
>
> I believe the quality of non-professional code and manuals to be
> at least as high as the professional one.  We have more freedom to
> reject crap.  I propose also deprecating Linux-man-pages-copyleft
> and moving to VERBATIM_PROF as the single surviving license from
> all four variants.
>
> We're also discussing the names that each of these four should be
> given in SPDX.
>

> I suggest (in order of appearance in this email):

Of course, I messed the order, but luckily I included the old names
so it's clear.

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
GPG key fingerprint: A9348594CE31283A826FBDD8D57633D441E25BB5