Re: mac scsi, ncr5380

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 04:16:08PM +0300, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
From a SCSI generic point of view. The current xxx_NCR5380 remind me allot
of the old ESP drivers stack. At-least at the surface level of the patches
I sent for both these drivers. I was lucky, at the end, to only send the
xxx_NCR5380 patches, because, as strongly recommended by Christoph Hellwig
(CCed), the old ESP stack was brilliantly replaced by a new one. That is 1/10
the size of the old one, and currently supports most of the interesting devices
out there. My unsent patches was a catalyst, for the now broken old-driver-stack,
to be removed quickly. And it seems every one is happy.

My point being, If you are looking to do a major cleanup work, on all these
1/2 forks. Maybe give a hard thought on just trashing the all thing and crafting
a completely new stack, 1/10 the size and much simpler, modern, and maintainable.

That would we very nice.  All 5380 drivers are in a really sorry state,
and a new one even if only working for sun3 and atari for now would be a
great change.  I'm not even sure if we have any users left for the PC
and arm 5380 drivers.