Re: mac scsi, ncr5380

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008, Boaz Harrosh wrote:

From what I understand, (And again I do not), the ESP sounds a lot like
the NCR5380. I would craft a very similar copy of the new ESP stack,
with it's central library and function-vector registration, The
scsi-generic part is all there, in full glory. Then one concentrated
effort should go into the basic/general chip programing, which lots of
it could be ripped from current code, and the different platform
implementation becomes one liners, if the new ESP stack is any
indication.

I still do not understand the whole ESP driver but when I wrote mac_esp.c
I learned the value of the layered structure it provided.

I still have a lot to learn about the SCSI layers and the APIs too. I'm
reading Documentation/scsi at the moment. If you know of any other
introductory reading material, that would be a help.

From my passed experience, there becomes a source code state when a
rewrite is less effort then any cleanup or enhancements. From the small
changes I had to do to the xxx_NCR5380 family of drivers, my guts
feeling scream "rewrite", so here I voice them. In the mid/long-term you
will work much less. And be much more satisfied from the results.

This makes sense. Thanks for your feedback.

Finn

Good lock
Boaz