Re: mac scsi, ncr5380

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 04:16:08PM +0300, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
From a SCSI generic point of view. The current xxx_NCR5380 remind me
allot of the old ESP drivers stack. At-least at the surface level of
the patches I sent for both these drivers. I was lucky, at the end, to
only send the xxx_NCR5380 patches, because, as strongly recommended by
Christoph Hellwig (CCed), the old ESP stack was brilliantly replaced
by a new one. That is 1/10 the size of the old one, and currently
supports most of the interesting devices out there. My unsent patches
was a catalyst, for the now broken old-driver-stack, to be removed
quickly. And it seems every one is happy.

My point being, If you are looking to do a major cleanup work, on all
these 1/2 forks. Maybe give a hard thought on just trashing the all
thing and crafting a completely new stack, 1/10 the size and much
simpler, modern, and maintainable.

That would we very nice.  All 5380 drivers are in a really sorry state,
and a new one even if only working for sun3 and atari for now would be a
great change.  I'm not even sure if we have any users left for the PC
and arm 5380 drivers.

Me neither. And I'd prefer not to worry about the PC and arm drivers. I've
bitten off more than enough already.

If I follow the ESP model, we'd get something like this:

-atari_NCR5380.c
-atari_scsi.c
-atari_scsi.h
-mac_scsi.c
-mac_scsi.h
-sun3_NCR5380.c
-sun3_scsi.c
-sun3_scsi.c
-sun3_scsi.h
-sun3_scsi_vme.c
+ncr5380_scsi.c
+ncr5380_scsi.h
+mac_ncr5380.c
+atari_ncr5380.c
+sun3_ncr5380.c
+sun3_vme_ncr5380.c

Which would eliminate some of the duplication. I'd leave the other files
untouched and let someone else worry about what to do with them -- in the
hope that a rewrite that meets the needs of atari/sun/mac will at least
approximate an alternative for the others.

Finn