Re: KTODO automated TODO lists

On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 08:14:25AM +1100, NeilBrown wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2023, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> >
> > Please compare the numbers:
> >   1. 1 sender removes irrelevant parts,
> >   2. N receivers skip irrelevant parts.
>
> That is one way to look at the numbers.
> Another is:
>
>   12 - fix about a dozen MUAs to summaries quotes properly
>   12000 - fix an unknownable number of people to quote just exactly the
>           amount that their particular audience is going to want
>
> and when it comes to fixing-code versus fixing-people, I know which this
> community is better at.

We've historically been successful at enforcing LKML etiquette rules on
everyone.  This is just another rule to not quote the entire email when
you're replying to a patch.

If you're just adding a Reviewed-by tag then post some context but not
more than a page.

For a new driver, what I sometimes to is put a summary at the top.
"Thanks.  The only real bug is some missing error codes in probe.  I had
some other style nits as well.  See below for all the details."  I
normally write the email first and then chop out the "no comment"
functions at the end.  (Sometimes I chop out the no comment functions
at the begining and then I have to start over when I change my mind).

regards,
dan carpenter