Re: KTODO automated TODO lists

On Wed, 2023-10-25 at 19:40 +0300, Jani Nikula wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2023, James Bottomley
> <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2023-10-25 at 08:29 +1100, NeilBrown wrote:
> > > Here we all are, brilliantly talented computer programmers who
> > > spend our days making amazing fast digital devices do amazingly
> > > clever and subtle things, inventing time-saving tools and
> > > processing vast amounts of data without blinking, but for some
> > > reason we think the task of skipping over a few thousand lines
> > > that all start with '>"s too hard for us and that we should, in
> > > stead, complain to some other human to convince them to make our
> > > life easier for us.
> > >
> > > Does anyone else see the irony?
> >
> > So if I'm a brilliantly talented driver, it's OK for other people
> > to drive on the wrong side of the road because I should be able to
> > avoid them?
>
> Nah, we're all brilliant car manufacturers that could have our cars
> deal with the situation. ;)
>
> The notmuch emacs interface has collapsed citations since at least
> 2010. I think Neil's point is, if we're all using open source MUAs,
> why don't we scratch that particular itch and move on, instead of
> getting frustrated by it year after year?

Because some MUAs don't have it.  Others are a bit aggressive, meaning
you have to turn it off anyway if you want to see what's in more than a
couple of lines of a quote (it only takes me a couple of emails to get
incredibly annoyed with the way gmail does it, for instance, since it
never seems to leave enough useful context).

James